Questio was: can i have an expression between particle velocity and wave velocity Answer by Adapa Bharath: Dear Abhinav, The concept of particle velocity and wave velocities come in case of a wave packet or group wave.... The particle velocity is nothing but the group velocity v g =dω/dk. And wave velocity is v=ω/k which implies ω = v*k substituting this we get v g =( dv/dk )* k + v Now my question is: Shouldn't be the group velocity always less than the wave velocity, as the Einstein says about the velocity of light, which cannot be overpassed? The above formula states the opposite. Or may be I am wrong, but where?

Questio was: can i have an expression between particle velocity and wave velocity

Answer by Adapa Bharath: Dear Abhinav,

The concept of particle velocity and wave velocities come in case of a wave packet or group wave....

The particle velocity is nothing but the group velocity vg=dω/dk. And wave velocity is v=ω/k

which implies  ω = v*k substituting this we get  vg=( dv/dk )* k + v

Now my question is: Shouldn't be the group velocity always less than the wave velocity, as the Einstein says about the velocity of light, which cannot be overpassed? The above formula states the opposite. Or may be I am wrong, but where?

Grade:10

3 Answers

Aman Bansal
592 Points
12 years ago

Dear Student,

The phase velocity can be thought of as the speed of a pure monochromatic wave or the speed of a single frequency. Specifically, it is the speed of the peaks and troughs that make up the wave.

The group velocity can be thought of as the speed of the propagating temporal interference pattern produced by multiple spectral components traveling at different speeds in a material. Since a pulse is made up of many spectral components, the group velocity is usually associated with the speed of pulse propagation.

Best Of luck

Plz Approve the answer...!!!!

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It’s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and winexciting gifts by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple click here to download the toolbar….
So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

claudio bonechi
14 Points
12 years ago

You gave me no answer to my specific questions; you just stated definitions of phase and group velocity, which I did not ask, because I already know them.

What I asked was:

vg=( dv/dk )* k + v ; this is the formula you wrote

Shouldn't be the group velocity always less than the wave velocity, as the Einstein says about the velocity of light, which cannot be overpassed? The above formula states the opposite. Can you explain this to me, please?

Ramesh Babu Gattu
19 Points
12 years ago

Dear friend,

Group velocity is similar to phase velocity or wave velocity rather than particle velocity as you mentioned. thats why you are confused with the results you are discussing.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free