Okay, so with my bike ( a bajaj wave, about 11 months. Fuel tank capacity: 5 litres ) i've recently begun to put in only one litre of fuel at a time with the expectation that the mileage would improve and guess wat, it has! in fact, it's improved by about 7-10 kilometres per litre. Anyway, my theory is that whether there is one litre of space above the level of the fuel or 4 litres, the concentration of fuel vapours in that air will be the same. But when there is more space above the level of the fuel (close to four litres) then there is simply more fuel vapour available per cycle for the combustion engine which means that the engine will be putting out more work per cycle. Now wat i don't know at all is how more energy per cycle will affect mileage but anyway, i await your answers.

Okay, so with my bike ( a bajaj wave, about 11 months. Fuel tank capacity: 5 litres ) i've recently begun to put in only one litre of fuel at a time with the expectation that the mileage would improve and guess wat, it has! in fact, it's improved by about 7-10 kilometres per litre.
Anyway, my theory is that whether there is one litre of space above the level of the fuel or 4 litres, the concentration of fuel vapours in that air will be the same. But when there is more space above the level of the fuel (close to four litres) then there is simply more fuel vapour available per cycle for the combustion engine which means that the engine will be putting out more work per cycle. Now wat i don't know at all is how more energy per cycle will affect mileage but anyway, i await your answers.

Grade:upto college level

1 Answers

Abhishek Kumar
askIITians Faculty 255 Points
9 years ago
I cannot comment on your improved mileage. But, when you have less fuel and your conc. reason is correct, which means there is more volume of fuel in the gaseous form. What this will do is that engine (it compresses the cylinder to raise the temperature and then spark is given for combustion, and the compression is normally adiabatic) has to do different work (The energy of compression also comes from the fuel energy, thus higher compression need means more energy going to this sector hence less for motor i.e. mileage) and energy released from the combustion is a constant, as it depends on the calorific value of fuel.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free