Water boils at 100 deg. centigrade at atmospheric pressure. Boiling point of water is a temperature at which change of phase takes place due to evoperation, i.e from water to water vapour. Sea or river water gets evoperated during the summer due to sun heat. This evopeartion takes place at atmospheric pressure. That means change of phase takes place of sea water at atmospheric pressure, But I am wondered that I have never heard of sea or river water is boiling or has 100 deg. surface temp. Please resolve my worng thinking, if any. Thanks.

Water boils at 100 deg. centigrade at atmospheric pressure. Boiling point of water is a temperature at which change of phase takes place due to evoperation, i.e from water to water vapour. Sea or river water gets evoperated during the summer due to sun heat. This evopeartion takes place at atmospheric pressure. That means change of phase takes place of sea water at atmospheric pressure, But I am wondered that I have never heard of sea or river water is boiling or has 100 deg.  surface  temp. Please resolve my worng thinking, if any. Thanks.

Grade:12

1 Answers

AskIITians Expert Hari Shankar IITD
17 Points
14 years ago

Evaporation and boiling are not the same things. Evaporation happens all the time. In fact, no matter which liquid you take at any temperature, a fraction of it will always evaporate off. The pressure created by this evaporated gas is called  "Vapor pressure". Every liquid has a fixed vapor pressure at any temperature. The temperature at which this vapor pressure becomes equal to atmospheric pressure is called boiling point.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free