APART FROM DIAMOND AND GRAPHITE,I WANT 2 KNOW OTHERS ALLOTROPES OF CARBON.HURRY PLS I NEED IT URGENTLY.

APART FROM DIAMOND AND GRAPHITE,I WANT 2 KNOW OTHERS ALLOTROPES OF CARBON.HURRY PLS I NEED IT URGENTLY.

Grade:9

2 Answers

Chilukuri Sai Kartik
58 Points
12 years ago

Dear Taluta,

1)Lonsdaleite (named in honour of Kathleen Lonsdale), also called hexagonal diamond in reference to the crystal structure, is an allotrope of carbon with a hexagonal lattice.It is translucent, brownish-yellow in color, and has an index of refraction of 2.40 to 2.41, a specific gravity of 3.2 to 3.3.A simulated pure sample has been found to be 58% harder than diamond.

2)Carbon nanotubes (CNTs) are allotropes of carbon with a cylindrical nanostructure.These cylindrical carbon molecules have unusual properties, which are valuable for nanotechnology, electronics, optics and other fields of materials science and technology.Nanotubes are categorized as single-walled nanotubes (SWNTs) and multi-walled nanotubes (MWNTs). Individual nanotubes naturally align themselves into "ropes" held together by van der Waals forces. The chemical bonding of nanotubes is composed entirely of sp2 bonds, similar to those of graphite. These bonds, which are stronger than the sp3 bonds found in alkanes, provide nanotubules with their unique strength.

3)Buckminsterfullerene is a spherical molecule with the formula C60. It was first prepared in 1985 by Harold Kroto, James Heath, Sean O'Brien, Robert Curl and Richard Smalley at Rice University.Kroto, Curl, and Smalley were awarded the 1996 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for their roles in the discovery of buckminsterfullerene.Buckminsterfullerene is the largest matter to have been shown to exhibit wave–particle duality.The structure of a buckminsterfullerene is a truncated icosahedron made of 20 hexagons and 12 pentagons, with a carbon atom at the vertices of each polygon and a bond along each polygon edge. The van der Waals diameter of a C60 molecule is about 1.01 nanometer (nm). The nucleus to nucleus diameter of a C60 molecule is about 0.71 nm. The C60 molecule has two bond lengths.

Plz approve my answer if you like...

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free