Why is Hydrogen placed in group I of the modern periodic table ?

Why is Hydrogen placed in group I of the modern periodic table ?

Grade:12

4 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
3 years ago
Dear student 
Alkali metals are the chemical elements found in Group 1 of the periodic table. Although often listed in Group 1 due to its electronic configuration, hydrogen is not technically an alkali metal since it rarely exhibits similar behavior
Mayank Ranka
askIITians Faculty 277 Points
3 years ago
Dear student,

Hydrogen is placed in group I of the modern periodic table due to following reasons:-

(1) It shows outer electronic configuration similar to group I elements (i.e.1s1).
(2) It readily looses its electron to form H+ ion which resembles the electropositive character of group I elements.
(3) It shows +1 oxidation state like alkali i.e. group I elements.
(4) Hydrogen also acts as a strong reducing agent like alkali metals and also forms binary compounds with electronegative elements which resembles the group I elements.
ajay
101 Points
3 years ago

Hydrogen is placed in group I of the modern periodic table due to following reasons:-

(1) It shows outer electronic configuration similar to group I elements (i.e.1s1).
(2) It readily looses its electron to form H+ ion which resembles the electropositive character of group I elements.
(3) It shows +1 oxidation state like alkali i.e. group I elements.
  • (4) Hydrogen also acts as a strong reducing agent like alkali metals and also forms binary compounds with electronegative elements which resembles the group I elements.​​
Anthony Paul Villy
35 Points
2 years ago
Hydrogen is a nonmetal and is placed above group in the periodic table because it has ns1 electron configuration like the alkali metals. However, it varies greatly from the alkali metals as it forms cations (H+) more reluctantly than the other alkali metals.
Electronic Configuration: 1s
Atomic Number: 1
Atomic Weight: 1.0079

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free