CO bond order is 3.0 and CO+ bond order is 3.5 why?

CO bond order is 3.0 and CO+ bond order is 3.5 why?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago
Well first i would suggest you is to clear your fact that Bond order of CO+ is 3.5. The correct fact is the bond order is neither 3.0 nor 3.5. The bond order of CO+ lies between 3.0 and 3.5.Now coming to your question, i also have to give you the information that the answer comes from the Mollecular Orbital Theory. So if it hasn’t thought to you then wait for it.Now, the energy diagrams for each and every hetronuclear molecule is different but in most of the cases we can find that the bind order and magnetic moment of the molecule can be found out from the energy diagrams of homonuclear molecules. But in case of ions, we are not sure as there can be variations. Like in case of CO molecule, if you draw the original energy diagram you will find out that the electron removed is from the non bonding energy level with slight antibonding character. Well this is something that includes homogineration in itself. But the perfect explation of your question must include the line i stated above and now as the electron removed from nonbonding level so there shouldn`t be any change but you should also consider that it has slight antibonding character and thus the bond order increases but not as much as 3.5.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free