I hope someone in here can help me out of this problem. I know that for calculating the change in entropy of a system ( ) we can use this formula : = δq/T Well the problem is here, when we calculating ΔS for an adiabatic process we know Q= 0 so ΔS=0 in this process, but why we just can't let Q be equal to zero in a free expansion (while we know that in free expansion W=Q=0) and get to the same result (ΔS=0) for the free expansion process?

I hope someone in here can help me out of this problem.
I know that for calculating the change in entropy of a system (LaTeX Code: \\Delta S ) we can use this formula :

LaTeX Code: \\Delta S =LaTeX Code: \\int δq/T
Well the problem is here, when we calculating ΔS for an adiabatic process we know Q= 0 so ΔS=0 in this process, but why we just can't let Q be equal to zero in a free expansion (while we know that in free expansion W=Q=0) and get to the same result (ΔS=0) for the free expansion process?

Grade:12

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear nitin,

The formula you wrote is only valid for a reversible process. And the free expansion is not a reversible process. To calculate the difference in entropy in this case, connect the initial and final state by any reversible path, for which generally you won't have dQ = dL = 0, and use your formula on this path.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

sagarsingh24.iitd@gmail.com

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free