When a negatively charged rod is brought near, but does not touch, the initially uncharged electroscope shown above, the leaves spring apart (I). When the electroscope is then touched with a finger, the leaves collapse (II). When next the finger and finally the rod are removed, the leaves spring apart a second time (III). The charge on the leaves is (A) positive in both I and III (B) negative in both I and III (C) positive in I, negative in III (D) negative in I, positive in III (E) impossible to determine in either I or III

When a negatively charged rod is brought near, but does not touch, the initially uncharged electroscope shown above, the leaves spring apart (I). When the electroscope is then touched with a finger, the leaves collapse (II). When next the finger and finally the rod are removed, the leaves spring apart a second time (III). The charge on the leaves is (A) positive in both I and III (B) negative in both I and III (C) positive in I, negative in III (D) negative in I, positive in III (E) impossible to determine in either I or III

Question Image
Grade:12

1 Answers

Eshan
askIITians Faculty 2095 Points
5 years ago
​I. When negatively charged rod is brought near, postitive charges induce on top of the electroscope and so negative charges are present on the leaves to keep the overall electroscope's charge conserved.

II. When finger is put, the system is grounded. The negative charges from the leaves will flow out to the ground. Howver the top of the electrscope still remains positive to obtain zero potential in present of the negatively charged rod.
III. When both rod and finger are removed, the electroscope has net postive charge and so do the leaves.

Hence correct answer is option D.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free