HETAV PATEL

Grade 11,

how can i get the admission in south korea medical ug college ?

how can i get the admission in south korea medical ug college ?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

RAHUL ROHILLA
askIITians Faculty 873 Points
5 years ago
I think it is a great idea. If you meet the right criteria, this is probably once in a life time opportunity.

\Korean medical schools are known to be extremely tough to gain admissions, but it appears that there is a bit of a loophole if you are of a foreign extraction. You may admission via either (1) International Admission where you have Korean heritage/parents, or (2) International Admission where you do not have Korean heritage/parents.

Because Korea has been an extremely homogeneous nation with over 98% of citizens of Korean ethnicity, with minority of Chinese, Japanese, and Americans—it tends to be have policies that give special advantage to foreigners. This has changed somewhat, but it is still the predominant sentiment in creating national and regional policies.

However, medical training is challenging even in your own mother tongue. Trying to pass all the courses in Korean as not a native speaker with very high degree of vocabulary pool, you may be lost in the first year. Mind you, they will use a lot of English terms, However, there will be a lot of Hanja (the Chinese characters).

When you graduate, you should know that becoming a medical doctor is still considered a “mister” in Korea, not a “doctor” in society. It is considered an undergraduate degree, rather than graduate degree in Korea. If you are from the Great Britain, you are probably aware of something similar. In contrast, in Canada or the US, medical schools are graduate programs, therefore, it is considered a terminal degree. In other words, in Korea, an MD is not considered a “real” doctor in the purely academic sense; while a “real” doctor would be someone with PhD.

Also, medical school in Korea is 6 long years, not 4 years as in Canada or US

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free