Dear Sir My AIR 2678 in GC, please advice should I choose Metallurgy or Bio Sc/Biotech in Kanpur or Kharagpur.Or Math & Computing will be better option in Kharagpur, considering future prospect. Kind Regards / Debnath

Dear Sir

My AIR 2678 in GC, please advice should I choose Metallurgy or Bio Sc/Biotech in Kanpur or Kharagpur.Or Math & Computing will be better option in Kharagpur, considering future prospect.

Kind Regards / Debnath

Grade:12

1 Answers

Askiitians Expert Saurav Bhattacharya- IIT Kharagpur
16 Points
13 years ago

Dear Debnath,

As far as which branch one should choose, one should always look at what interests him/her. If you are into Chemistry (mainly Thermodynamics) then you should probably go for metallurgy. If it is the Life Sciences which interest you, then you might have an edge in Bio Sc/Biotech(though Biology is no criteria at all). If you find programming and find maths and computer sciences more appealing, then you should probably go for Maths and Computing. It's all a matter of personal choice and one should carefully access his/her likings and interests before finally deciding on his/her branch: remember, this is one thing that will always remain with you for ever in your life.

According to future prospects(or placements, if that is what you are looking for), Metallurgy is a well known Engineering  Branch which is present in virtually any engineering college. Even the Jobs are not bad, and several MNC's, even Indian Companies, like TATA Steel etc. take away Metallurgical Engineers. Biotechnology is a new and upcoming branch and in the Indian scenario, is one of the fastest growing avenues. The job prospects at present are not very bright(especially in India), but strong promise is seen in the future. On the other hand Maths and Computing is a well established branch, and for people who love coding, it is said to be the next best thing to Computer Science. Even in the IITs, the core CS companies also offer jobs to students from Maths and Computing Branch.

I have tried to be as unbiased as possible in my reply. If by any chance you decide to come to Kharagpur, don't forget to meet up with me. :)

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question 
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We 
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation. 

All the best Debnath !!!

Regards,

Askiitians Experts

Saurav Bhattacharya

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free