Hello....If we can increase the speed of neurotransmission of impulses from optical nerve to the occipital lobes to the brain......Can we have faster optial reflexes???.....I mean to ask whether we can see things slower than actual if we increase the speed of neurotransmission.... …...Hope someone’s gonna help me..

Hello....If we can increase the speed of neurotransmission of impulses from optical nerve to the occipital lobes to the brain......Can we have faster optial reflexes???.....I mean to ask whether we can see things slower than actual if we increase the speed of neurotransmission....
                                 …...Hope someone’s gonna help me..

Grade:11

2 Answers

Aabid Hussain
askIITians Faculty 576 Points
6 years ago
Hi Kashyap,

Thank you for asking

That’s an interesting question!

Transmission of impulse depends on the polarisation, depolarization and hyper-polarisation of the membrane potential. Increasing the speed means we gonna speed up the flow of ions across the membrane. For that we have to take over the control of membrane channels. Opening and closing of the membrane channels also depend on the intensity of stimulus but uptoa threshold level.

Hope this will help you
Vasanth SR
askIITians Faculty 1335 Points
6 years ago
We can see the idea but it is fictional. You can't become FLASH but the reality is that nervous system is responsible fortransmittingimpulses throughout the body. Thespeedof anerveimpulse varies with the type ofnerveimpulse the nervous system is sending. Some signals such as those for muscle position, travel at speeds up to 119m/s.Nerveimpulses such as pain signals travel slower at 0.61m/s.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free