AB blood group has Antigen A as well as antigen B, suppose if this person gets blood from a person having a blood group A which has got antibody B, won`t the antibody B from donor`s blood react with antigen A in the AB blood group and if this happens why is the AB blood group universal recipient??

AB blood group has Antigen A as well as antigen B, suppose if this person gets blood from a person having a blood group A which has got antibody B, won`t the antibody B from donor`s blood react with antigen A in the AB blood group and if this happens why is the AB blood group universal recipient??

Grade:11

2 Answers

R Parker
40 Points
6 years ago
Yeah you are correct. Following is the explanation that a very renowned faculty of zoology gave me when I asked the same question.Actually these terms of universal donor and receiver are just theoretical . These cases are used in blood transfusion only if a person cannot get blood of his blood group.Ideally a person of blood group AB can receive blood from anyone but practically he should receive it from a person having blood group AB only.
S.G PANDA
25 Points
6 years ago
Dear i got an answer from physiology book regarding this... Please note *In blood transfusion, one must considered the antibodies of recipient ; the antibodies of the donor has no effect because it is diluted before transfusion* ...As antibodies of donor has been diluted before transfusion , so there is no chance of agglutination or antigen-antibody reaction in recipient .... therefore AB blood group is universal recipient....I hope this answer would help you...RegardsShakti Gayatri Panda

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free