When we talk about frequency of overtone of closed pipe the ans is n/2 and when we talk about note produces by closed pipe the ans is 2n... how? In both cases we are talking about closed pipe.. so how could 1st one has ans 2n another one has n/2... is this differ ans becz of note and overtone.. if it is so can you elaborate plzz sir.. becz am totally confuse both the ans are differ just becz of a single word.. how?

When we talk about frequency of overtone of closed pipe the ans is n/2 and when we talk about note produces by closed pipe the ans is 2n... how? In both cases we are talking about closed pipe.. so how could 1st one has ans 2n another one has n/2... is this differ ans becz of note and overtone.. if it is so can you elaborate plzz sir.. becz am totally confuse both the ans are differ just becz of a single word.. how?

Grade:12th pass

3 Answers

Phanindra
226 Points
6 years ago
Actually there is a lot of difference between overtone and harmonics...
I think from the following your doubt will be clarified....
For 0(ZERO) Overtone (or) fundamental (or) 1st Harmonic
n= V/4l
V = velocity and l = length of the pipe...
For 1st overtone (or) 3rd harmonic...
n'=3V/4l...
For 2nd overtone (or) 5th harmonic
n"=5v/4l 
Similarly you will get other harmonics also...
By the way,only odd harmonics  are present in closed pipes...
Medical Student
35 Points
6 years ago
N/4l, 3V/4L,etc are understood by me... it`s not confusion actually i wanna ask that if one closed pipe has ans 2n then another one has n/2.. how both the ans are differ from each other...? While we talking about closed pipe...
Medical Student
35 Points
6 years ago
Actually fine... Thank you so much sir i got my answer.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free