(a) An organic compound ‘A’ with molecular formula C5 H8 O2 is reduced to n-pentane on treatment with Zn-Hg/ HCI. ‘A’ forms a dioxime with hydroxylamine and gives a positive lodoform test and Tollen’s test. Identify the compound A and deduce its structure. (b) Write the chemical equations for the following conversions: (not more than 2 steps) (i) Ethyl benzene to benzene (ii) Acetaldehyde to butane - 1, 3 - diol (iii) Acetone to propene

(a) An organic compound ‘A’ with molecular formula C5 H8 O2 is reduced to n-pentane on treatment with Zn-Hg/ HCI. ‘A’ forms a dioxime with hydroxylamine and gives a positive lodoform test and Tollen’s test. Identify the compound A and deduce its structure. (b) Write the chemical equations for the following conversions: (not more than 2 steps) (i) Ethyl benzene to benzene (ii) Acetaldehyde to butane - 1, 3 - diol (iii) Acetone to propene

Grade:12

2 Answers

bap
10 Points
6 years ago
its your answer i hope you understand well  i hope you understand well  i hope you understand well  i hope you understand well  i hope you understand well  i hope you understand well  i hope you understand well  i hope you understand well
suvidhi mehta
292 Points
6 years ago
compound is CH3-CO-CH2-CH2-CHO
Zn-Hg/HCl reduces aldehyde and ketone to alkanes 
methyl keto gives positive iodoform test 
and aldehydes give positive tollens test

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free