MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: Rs.

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Grade:

Which has a greater -I effect, -OCH3 or -OH ? Please explain the reason.
6 months ago

Answers : (2)

Vismay
13 Points

• Of course -OH group as is given in the increasing order of the -I effect as it starts like this ---C+H2>--N+HHH3-O+H>..........and goes on.
6 months ago
Rajdeep
226 Points

HELLO THERE!

Negative inductive effect (-I effect) or electron withdrawing effect is shown by the groups which have more electronegativity.

OCH3 group is more electron withdrawing (i.e, shows more -I effect) than the OH group.

WHY?

The reason is that, there are two lone pairs of oxygen. Oxygen has a smaller size, so in case of OCH3, the methyl group is close to the lone pair electrons, which leads to Steric repulsion. Due to this, a slight positive charge is developed on Oxygen atom, and we know that positively charged ions are more electronegative, as they are electron deficient, and they definitely are in want of electrons. So, this positive charge increases the electronegativity of O atom, due to which its electron withdrawing effect increases.

However, in case of OH, the H atom is comparatively much much smaller than O, so here no Steric repulsion takes place. OH shows -I effect just due to the electronegativity value of Oxygen.

THANKS!
6 months ago
Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?
Answer & Earn Cool Goodies

Course Features

• 731 Video Lectures
  • Revision Notes
  • Previous Year Papers
  • Mind Map
  • Study Planner
  • NCERT Solutions
  • Discussion Forum