sir, Thanks for the lucas test information,In matric now the Marks has been reduced from 15 to 5 marks , due to new regulations,Hence Faculty are saying instead of theory present the same in equation format.could u help me in that format. Thanks vincent

sir,

Thanks  for the  lucas test information,In matric now the Marks has been reduced from 15 to 5 marks,due to new regulations,Hence Faculty are saying instead of theory present the same in equation format.could u help me in that format.

Thanks vincent 

Grade:12

1 Answers

Rajeev
35 Points
5 years ago
Lucas reagent test
Primary alcohol . example ethanol
Primary do not give the test at room temperature. The product is formed on heating
                                    Con HCl                                   heat
CH3-CH2-OH    ------------------------- →    no reaction       →          CH3-CH2-Cl   + H2O
                        Anhydrous ZnCl2                                                                                               chloro ethane
Secondary alcohol, example 2-propanol. The product will be formed after 5 minutes
                                      Con HCl
CH3-CH(OH)-CH3    ------------------------- →                CH3-CH(Cl )-CH3  + H2O
2-propanol          Anhydrous ZnCl2                                   2-Chloropropane

Tertiary alcohol, 2-Methyl-2-propanol. The product will be formed immediately even in the absence of Anhydrous ZnCl2                                   
images.png             ------------------------- →               download.png          +H2O
2-Methyl-2-propanol              Con HCl                       2-Chloro-2-Methylpropane
      Anhydrous ZnCl2                              
Its difficult to draw the two pics and i cannot inclide image refer for the structure with the names

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free