order of acidity – ortho hydroxy benzoic acid meta hydroxy benzoic acid para hydroxy benzoic acid 2,6 dihydroxy benzoic acid

order of acidity – 

ortho hydroxy benzoic acid
meta hydroxy benzoic acid
para hydroxy benzoic acid 
2,6 dihydroxy benzoic acid

Grade:12

1 Answers

Piyush Kumar Behera
417 Points
6 years ago
Before I answer your question it is important to for you to know about ortho effect in ortho substituted benzoic acid which states that: “An ortho substituted benzoic acid is said to be more acidic than the meta and para substituted benzoic acid”.
The reason can be stated as:
In case of ortho-substituted benzoic acids, due to steric inhibition, the -COOH group goes out of plane and hence decrease in resonance stabilisation of acid as compared to anion make it better acid.

And if it is ortho disubstituted like in the case of 2,6 dihydroxy benzoic acid
then the steric hindrance is more prominent and the resultant is more acidic.
When we compare between para and meta ,meta is more acidic because the hydroxy group cannot donate electron through resonance(in meta position) and hence cannot destabilise the conjugate base.

So the order of the acidic nature is :para hydroxy benzoic acid
I have put my best to explain.If you are unable to get please do write I will try to explain again.And please If my answer is correct do approve my answer!!.
So the order of the acidic nature is :para hydroxy benzoic acidmeta hydroxy benzoic acid
Due to some technical error it automatically eliminated the statement in the previous answers.
again it eliminated the answer so please look this answer the most acidic is the one at the down
para hydroxy benzoic acid
meta hydroxy benzoic acid
ortho hydroxy benzoic acid
2,6 dihydroxy benzoic acid

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free