I was pretty confused about this while I was going through this topic, Esterfication. Can you explain me the mechanism of esterfication?

I was pretty confused about this while I was going through this topic, Esterfication.
Can you explain me the mechanism of esterfication?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ shreyas 
below are the mechanism of esterification reaction . 
STEP 1 = the ethanoic acid takes a proton from the concentrated sulphuric acid , the proton will attached to one of the loan pairs on oxygen which is double bonded to carbon . 
STEP 2 = the +ve charge of the carbon atom is attacked by one of the loan pair of the oxygen of the ethanol molecule . 
STEP 3 = PROTON gets transferred from the bottom oixygen atom to the others , it gets picked off by one of the other substances in the mixture . 
STEP 4 = a molecule of water is lost from the ion . the +ve charge delocalised all over that end opf the ion and their will also be contribution from the structure . 
STEP 5 = THE hydrogen will removed from oxygen by reaction with the hydrogen sulphate ion which was formed earilier . 
ITS COMPLETED , the easter has been formed and sulphuric acid catalyst has been regenerated . 
HOPE IT CLEARS 
ALL THE BEST ..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free