Thank you for registering.

One of our academic counsellors will contact you within 1 working day.

Please check your email for login details.
MY CART (5)

Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: Rs.

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Please explain in detail about Pseudo chiral carbon and its applications in organic chemistry

Please explain in detail about Pseudo chiral carbon and its applications in organic chemistry

Grade:12

4 Answers

Chetan Mandayam Nayakar
312 Points
10 years ago

Pseudo-asymmetric Carbon Atom

The traditional name for a tetrahedrally coordinated carbon atom bonded to four different entities, two and only two of which have the same constitution but opposite chirality sense. The r/s descriptors of pseudo-asymmetric carbon atoms are invariant on reflection in a mirror (i.e. r remains r, and s remains s), but are reversed by the exchange of any two entities (i.e. r becomes s, and s becomes r). An example is C-3 of ribaric (C-3 is r), xylaric acid (C-3 is s) or hyoscyamine (C-3 is r). The hyphen in pseudo-asymmetric may be omitted.

ribaric acid xylaric acid

hyoscyamine

Godfrey Classic Prince
633 Points
10 years ago

Dear Sanatan Vatsa,

Pseudo Asymmetric Chiral Carbon, the traditional name for a tetrahedrally coordinated carbon atom bonded to four different entities, two and only two of which have the same constitution but opposite chirality sense.
The r/s descriptors of pseudo-asymmetric carbon atoms are invariant on reflection in a mirror (i.e. r remains r, and s remains s), but are reversed by the exchange of any two entities (i.e. r becomes s, and s becomes r).

For more idea please visit the following page given below

http://old.iupac.org/goldbook/P04921.pdf

Hope this helped you immensely..

Please approve my answer if you liked it by clicking on "Yes" given below...!!Smile

rahul malik
19 Points
4 years ago
The atom which changes from chiral centre to achiral centre by the change in its configuation is known as psuaedo chiral centre.
conditions for psuedo chiral centre is :
1: that atom should be bonded with 2 different groups
2:atom should be bonded with 2 identical chiral centres or 2 double bondsthat can show G.I{geometrical isomerism}
ankit singh
askIITians Faculty 614 Points
one year ago

Well what I know is a Pro Chiral Carbon. But with the given name "Pseudo", it seems both are same.
Such a carbon atom that is not Chiral initially, but becomes Chiral after the attack of a my reagent is called a Pro Chiral Carbon.
Consider the case of a tertiary butyl free radical, with the form as -

CH(3)---C---CH(2)-Cl
|
CH(2)-F
If you perform Bromination in the presence of sunlight, then a Br group attaches to the free radical carbon, in super controlled conditions.
In such a case, as you can see, the compound in initially not Chiral but after reaction becomes Chiral.
This is what we call pro chiral carbon or pseudo chiral carbon.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

Provide a better Answer & Earn Cool Goodies See our forum point policy

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free