Plzzz...Vikas for god's sake help me man !!!! SORRY....IF I'M A TROUBLE TO UR STUDY !!!!!! But this is urgent man....plzzz..help me will u pal??? I have a concept problem in chemistry(organic),. Amines are basic bcos of the presence of one lone pair of elctron on the nitrogen atom right??? Then why is the addition of alkyl groups(electron releasing groups) increase the atability & basicity of the amines ...??? Is there a positive charge on the amines ..??? I don't think so !!! Only if there was a positive charge ,the presence of alkyl groups (electron releasing groups) will increase the stability & the basicity of the amines ### !! But is there a +ve charge on the amines (-NH2) ??? If there is a positive charge then how do i find out and if there is a negative charge then how do i find out that... plsss... i have to clear my concepts just like u frnd !!! Help me ...HELP ME ### I will APPROVE !!!

Plzzz...Vikas for god's sake help me man !!!! SORRY....IF I'M A TROUBLE TO UR STUDY !!!!!! But this is urgent man....plzzz..help me will u pal??? I have a concept problem in chemistry(organic),. Amines are basic bcos of the presence of one lone pair of elctron on the nitrogen atom right??? Then why is the addition of alkyl groups(electron releasing groups) increase the atability & basicity of the amines ...??? Is there a positive charge on the amines ..??? I don't think so !!! Only if there was a positive charge ,the presence of alkyl groups (electron releasing groups) will increase the stability & the basicity of the amines ### !! But is there a +ve charge on the amines (-NH2) ??? If there is a positive charge then how do i find out and if there is a negative charge then how do i find out that... plsss... i have to clear my concepts just like u frnd !!! Help me ...HELP ME ###

I will APPROVE !!!

Grade:12

1 Answers

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

dear geoffery here is the concept

base      +  water ===>  conjugate acid + OH-

CH3NH2  +   H2O ===>       CH3NH3+   + OH-

now , if product (conjugate acid)  is more stable then base will give OH-  more fastly than

in which product is not stable ....

here +ve charge is on nitrogen atom & from this we can conclude that for more basicity ,  molecule should have

EDG [ -OCH3,-CH3 , -(CH3)2 , -O-(phenoxide) ]....

so , we have to see weather conjugate acid is stable or not ...

eg) para-methoxyaniline is more basic than aniline as conjugate acid is stablised due to -OCH3 group ...

eg)(CH3)2CHNH2 (2 CH3 groups)  is more basic than (CH3)CH2NH2 (1 CH3 group) ....

for comparision of basicity among 1o,2o,3o amines

if molecule is in gaseous phase then there is no problem with the above mentioned concept but if reaction occures in aqueous then order will be somewhat different ...

so ,   for gaseous phase basicity order  3o>2o>1o 

for aqueous medium basicity order 2o>1o>3o 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free