i want to know the structure of a micelle when soap is dissolved in a hydrocarbon. my guess is that a micelle is formed such that the hydrophilic portion is inside the micelle and hydrophobic tail is outside.

i want to know the structure of a micelle when soap is dissolved in a hydrocarbon.

my guess is that a micelle is formed such that the hydrophilic portion is inside the micelle and hydrophobic tail is outside.

Grade:

2 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

A micelle is formed when a variety of molecules including soaps and detergents are added to water. The molecule may be a fatty acid, a salt of a fatty acid (soap), phospholipids, or other similar molecules.

The molecule must have a strongly polar "head" and a non-polar hydrocarbon chain "tail". When this type of molecule is added to water, the non-polar tails of the molecules clump into the center of a ball like structure, called a micelle, because they are hydrophobic or "water hating". The polar head of the molecule presents itself for interaction with the water molecules on the outside of the micelle.

anushka banga
18 Points
12 years ago

is micelle formed in alcohol?

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free