Two bodies of masses m1 and m2 are connected by a long inextensible cord of length L. The combination is allowed to fall freely towards the earth ( mass me), the direction of the cord being always radial as shown in the figure. Find: (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the accelerations of m1 and m2. Does the cord ever becomes slack?

Two bodies of masses m1 and m2 are connected by a long inextensible cord of length L. The 
combination is allowed to fall freely towards the earth ( mass me), the direction of the cord being always 
radial as shown in the figure. Find: (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the accelerations of m1 and m2. 
Does the cord ever becomes slack?

Question Image
Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
9 years ago
Since, m1 nd m2 are at differen distance from the surface of the earth, therefore they would experience the different force of attraction, Difference of force of gravitation will give the concept of tension produced in the string.
m1 will be attracted towrds Me due to force of attraction and opposed by a tension in the string.
Tension i the string will be same at other end opf mass m2 and this will be equal to the force of gravitation experienced by the earh and mass m2 – force of gravitation experienced by the mass m2 due to earth.
2. Net force available due to force of grvitation will produce acceleration in the system.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free