Sir, How to analyse the direction of friction for a spherical shaped body undergoing rolling motion with sliding .Does it have a specific direction because as per my analysis both are true at the same time. Pls explain. Thnx

Sir,
How to analyse the direction of friction for a spherical shaped body undergoing rolling motion with sliding.Does it have a specific direction because as per my analysis both are true at the same time.Pls explain.
Thnx

Grade:11

1 Answers

navya
34 Points
5 years ago
bruh i think this might be the answer 
case 1 : Ball rolls up the plane. Gravity retards the ball, so its linear velocity will decrease. In order to prevent slipping, angular velocity should also decrease. So friction should provide a torque opposite to the rotation of the ball.
case 2: Ball rolls down the plane. In this case gravity accelerates the particle. So its linear velocity increases. In order to keep up, its angular velocity must also increase. Friction provides torque to increase angular velocity, which turns out to be up the plane as well.
case 3 : if the ball is being pulled up friction acts downwards as net force on the ball, including tension in string and gravity is upward and helping linear motion
case 4:in case the ball sliding down the ball sliding down i think this is the answer
gravity is acting at centre of mass of ball and pulling it downward ball thus starts gaining linear motion, but not angular motion. Thus friction helps in sliding and acts upward.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free