can someone please explain to me the conceptual difference between circular motion and rotational motion? i've tried many books of indian as well as foreign authors but am unable to find something really usefu.. Thanks, Sushrut

can someone please explain to me the conceptual difference between circular motion and rotational motion? i've tried many books of indian as well as foreign authors but am unable to find something really usefu..

Thanks,

Sushrut

Grade:12

1 Answers

Askiitians Expert Soumyajit IIT-Kharagpur
28 Points
14 years ago

Dear Sushurt Prabhakar,

Circular motion:- When a particle or body moves in a circular path then it's motion is said to be circular. It may be a string mass system i.e a particle attached to one end of a string and it is being rotated about the other end or a car is taking a turn in a road, etc. Where we only concentrate ourself to find the limiting friction, the banking angle etc.                        HERE THE MAIN THING WHICH PLATS A VITAL ROLE IS THE RADIOUS OF CURVATURE IRRESPECTIVE OF THE FACT WHETHER THE BODY IS ROTATING ON A WHEEL OR NOT. 

Rotational Motion:- In this we only study the property of rotation of a(or more) wheel(s). We see whether it is pure rolling or sliding i.e

whether V>wR

or V<wR

or V=wR.

the First two cases are impure rotation but the last case is a pure rotation.

Here we also focus to find the value of the instantaneous axix of rotation.

So the basic Difference between rotational & circular motion is the First one is related to wheels or the part that is rotating whereas in circular motion we only concentrate upon the system together. 

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best Sushurt Prabhakar !!!

Regards,

Askiitians Experts
Soumyajit Das IIT Kharagpur

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free