What is static friction and kinetic friction?

What is static friction and kinetic friction?

Grade:12

4 Answers

Vivek Joshi
20 Points
11 years ago

Static friction force is the force that resists the starting of motion of any mass. Eg: U just want to start the motion of the block. You need to apply minimum force to start the motion of the block. The force u applied is just equal to kinetic friction force. 

While the kinetic friction force acts as a retarder. I opposes the motion of mass. Suppose any block is moving on a table, the friction force that is acting against the motion of the block is kinetic friction force.

Kinetic friction force is always less then or equal to static friction force.

Sourabh Meena
19 Points
11 years ago

Static Friction is friction which comes when a body is at rest and tries to move NOTE - IT IS SELF ADJUSTING FRICTION.

KINETIC Friction is the friction which comes into play when a body is actually moving on the surface of other body.

Mujahid Ahmed
42 Points
11 years ago

I''l make this Short and Easy.

Static Friction is the force acting between two contact surfaces that opposes the start of Relative Motion between the two Surfaces 

Kinetic Friction is the force acting between two contact surfaces that opposes the Relative motion Once it has started.

Pay attention to the bolded part.

Click "yes" below if i helped :)

Gunna Laxmi Prasanna
32 Points
11 years ago

Frictional force is called a self adjusting force.

Frictional forces are divided into three types:1.Static friction2.Kinetic or Dynamic friction3.Rolling friction

Static friction:Frictional force acting on a body when it is under rest condition.The maximum value of this force is attained when the body is about to move.

Kinetic or Dynamic friction:-It is the frictional force acting on a body which is under motion.Generally kinetic or dynamic friction is less than static frictional force.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free