Two long straight wires separated by a distance d is carrying same current I in the same direction . An electron is projected in the direction of current at a distance 'a' right from the right wire . If the instantaneous speed of electron when it is in the plane of wire is V , then the force acting on it is a) ( o / 2 ) I e V { (1/ d) - (1/ a+d) } b) ( o / 2 ) I e V { (1/ d) + (1/ a+d) } c) zero d) none of these

Two long straight wires separated by a distance d is carrying  same current  I in the same direction . An electron is projected in the direction of current at a distance 'a' right from the right wire . If the instantaneous speed of electron when it is in the plane of wire is V , then the force acting on it is

a) ( o / 2 ) I e V { (1/ d) - (1/ a+d) }

b) (o / 2 ) I e V { (1/ d) + (1/ a+d) }

c) zero

d) none of these

Grade:11

1 Answers

ROSHAN MUJEEB
askIITians Faculty 833 Points
3 years ago
We consider two long straight parallel wires separated by a distance d carrying currents I1 and I2 . Let us examine the case where the two currents are in the same direction, as in Figure given below.
Wire 2 will experience a magnetic field of due to wire 1 in the direction indicated, and hence will experience a force.
The direction of F2 indicated shows that wire 2 will be attracted towards wire 1. In a similar manner, we can show that wire 1 will experience a force due to the magnetic field B2 of wire 2, and that this force F1 will have a magnitude equal to that of F2 but opposite in direction.Thus, wire 1 will be attracted towards wire 2.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free