CuSO4.5H2O me only 4 water molecules are attached to copper atom...(acording to jee 2009) my quest. is why not all 5 water molecules since coordination number of Cu2+ is 4 and 6 both...then why not 6

CuSO4.5H2O me only 4 water molecules are attached to copper atom...(acording to jee 2009) my quest. is why not all 5 water molecules since coordination number of Cu2+ is 4 and 6 both...then why not 6

Grade:12th Pass

4 Answers

Saurabh Gupta
34 Points
11 years ago

In CuSO4.5H2O, four water molecules are coordinated to Cu+2, while one is hydrogen bonded with SO42-.

Copper sulfate pentahydrate contains copper(II) in a geometry best described as distorted octahedral. The copper(II) is bound to four water molecules in a square-planar geometry and two oxygen atoms from two sulfate ions (one H2O is H-Bonded here).

This salt dissolves in water to produce the pale-blue [Cu(H2O)6]2+ ion, in which two of the water molecules are less tightly held and have longer bond distances.

lakshmi kalyani
32 Points
10 years ago

according through werners theory one of thye five molecules of H2omolecules will attach to the  So4 molecules in the form of hydrozen bonding. it will act as both primary and secondary molecule so co-ordination number will be 4Smile

if you like it please approve

vishal ojha
35 Points
10 years ago

In CuSO4.5H2O, four water molecules are coordinated to Cu+2, while one is hydrogen bonded with SO42-.

Copper sulfate pentahydrate contains copper(II) in a geometry best described as distorted octahedral. The copper(II) is bound to four water molecules in a square-planar geometry and two oxygen atoms from two sulfate ions (one H2O is H-Bonded here).

This salt dissolves in water to produce the pale-blue [Cu(H2O)6]2+ ion, in which two of the water molecules are less tightly held and have longer bond distances.

plzz approve

SUJIT
21 Points
6 years ago
qwqwqwqwerererererrtrtrtrtrtrtutytytytytyuiuiuiuiuiuiuopopopoppoasasassdfdfsdffghgfhfghkhjkjkZCzxczxcxcvcvcxv

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free