When aniline is nitrated with nitrating mixture in ice cold condition , the major product obtained is- a)ORTHO, b)PARA, c)META-nitro anniline or some something else? Please help.

When aniline is nitrated with nitrating mixture in ice cold condition , the major product obtained is- a)ORTHO, b)PARA, c)META-nitro anniline or some something else?
Please help.

Grade:Upto college level

5 Answers

e w
14 Points
11 years ago

I think it would be o-nitro-anniline (as in this case there is no mention of acetylation) there is no queation of blocking the ortho side by bulkier group.In addition to that in ortho position H-bonding confers additional stability.So I have done it as o-nitro anniline.Rest depends on WBJEEB

Vikas TU
14149 Points
11 years ago

Para will be major product!
Always remember that Only and only i case of Methyl attached to benzene will  form ortho as major product on chlorination,nitration or Hbonding otherwise para will be always the major product formed! 

e w
14 Points
11 years ago

can you explain it with reason?

anurag bhattacharjee
42 Points
10 years ago

I do agree with sir,s  reason as "ice cold condition can never change the mechanism of a chemical reaction".However as a result of this,the rate of this reaction will become extremely slow and So "papa" will be the most easily formed & major product in this reaction.(NCERT TEXTBOOK-AMMINE chapter)  

vishal ojha
35 Points
10 years ago

Para will be major product!
Always remember that Only and only i case of Methyl attached to benzene will  form ortho as major product on chlorination,nitration or Hbonding otherwise para will be always the major product formed

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free