When given a compond how do you know its colour?

When given a compond how do you know its colour?

Grade:12

3 Answers

Amitabh Shrivastava
32 Points
13 years ago

It is not possible to find the colour of a compound simply by looking at its molecular formula. SUCH QUESTIONS CAN OLY BE ANSWERED ON THE BASIS OF ELIMINATION OF OPTIONS OR MEMORY. For examle a low spin complex is likely to be red as it absorbs high energy blue end of spectrum.I understand this may be a little confusing so feel free to contact for any queries.

Do not forget to aapprove this answer

sushant singh
66 Points
13 years ago

Hii madhu....

well to understand the compound by mere look is some what an experience that comes with experiments ...

Appearance of compound details

The compound will most likely be in solid form. Note the color and shape of the crystals. Ionic compounds formed from the representative elements tend to be white or colorless, while ions of transition elements tend to be colored. The following is a table of the colors of metal ions in solution with NO3-.

IonColor
Co2+             rose
Co3+             violet
Cr3+             violet
Cu2+              blue
Fe2+ pale green, pale violet
Fe3+          yellow-brown
Mn2+          pale pink
Ni2+         blue-green

If you check this table i think you will next time identify the compound by just looking at it ....or atleast you will b able to know the cation involve ...

Amitabh Shrivastava
32 Points
13 years ago

It is not possible to find the colour of a compound simply by looking at its molecular formula. SUCH QUESTIONS CAN OLY BE ANSWERED ON THE BASIS OF ELIMINATION OF OPTIONS OR MEMORY. For examle a low spin complex is likely to be red as it absorbs high energy blue end of spectrum.I understand this may be a little confusing so feel free to contact for any queries.

Do not forget to aprove this answer

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free