In sp3d3 which d orbitals are used??I am so confused as some books are saying that 1.These are dxy,dxz,dyz due to similar energy. 2.But then some are saying that dx2-y2,dz2 and any other d due to their arrangement in pentagonal bypyramidal . 3. Again another book is saying that this is dxy,dxz and dz2 because if we use dx2-y2 then the angle which is 72 will convert to 90. Now which book is right I am so confused??

In sp3d3 which d orbitals are used??I am so confused as some books are saying that 

1.These are dxy,dxz,dyz due to similar energy.
2.But then some are saying that dx2-y2,dz2 and any other d due to their arrangement in pentagonal bypyramidal .
3. Again another book is saying that this is dxy,dxz and dz2 because if we use dx2-y2 then the angle which is 72 will convert to 90.

Now which book is right I am so confused??

Grade:12th pass

3 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago
The sp3d3 hybridization has a pentagonal bipyramidal geometry i.e., five bonds in a plane, one bond above the plane and one below it.

So to achieve such geometry we need to choose orbitals in such a way such that five of them are in one plane and two in planes perpendicular to it

We have one s orbital – s    

three p orbitals – px py pz

and five d orbitals – dxy dyz dxz dx2-y2 dz2

The only possible combination in which 5 are in a plane and 2 above it is 

s pppdxy dx2-y2 dz2

in which s px py dxy dx2-y2 are in xy plane and pz and dz2 perpendicular to it.

So the d orbitals being used are dxy dx2-y2 dz2

satwant kaur
27 Points
5 years ago
But then for sp3d3 axial bonds are shorter than equitorial if it is the case then in the axial bond there is no s character present so how the shorter bond length will be explained??
Husain Malwat
26 Points
2 years ago
U DONT SEE BOND LENGTH BY S CHARACTER  …....   ONLY CHECK % P  CHARACTER WHICH IS 60% in EQUITORIAL AND 50% IN AXIAL 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free