We know that static electricity can be produced by rubbing cloth in pipes, and so on. My question is how this static electricity is produced. I had read so many answers for this. The answer is transferring electrons from cloth to pipe. Thus pipe acquires negative charge and cloth becomes positive charge. If this answer is correct, i have another question due to the electrons transfer from cloth to pipes, there is no changes in the property of both materials so why the property is not changing due to this electron transfer?

We know that static electricity can be produced by rubbing cloth in pipes, and so on. My question is how this static electricity is produced. I had read so many answers for this. The answer is transferring electrons from cloth to pipe. Thus pipe acquires negative charge and cloth becomes positive charge. If this answer is correct, i have another question due to the electrons transfer from cloth to pipes, there is no changes in the property of both materials so why the property is not changing due to this electron transfer?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Eshan
askIITians Faculty 2095 Points
5 years ago
Dear student,

It is true that the charge occurs due to transfer of electrons. Changing the number of electrons by a small amount does not change the nature of the material itself. They only get charged due to which they are attracted towards each other. Actually there are a lot of electrons that are not even very closely bound to atom. So when given heat energy due to rubbing, the loosely bound electrons attain sufficient energy to jump from one to another.

Hope this answered helped.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free