​my teacher told when a + vely charged glass rod is brought in contact with the neutral glass rod all the e- from neutral rod will move to the another one and the whole neutral rod will become + vely charged now 1 my ques is firstly how all the e- can travel only valence one should move ?and 2 secondly how complete body will become charged only that portion in contact should become charged ?

​my teacher told when a +vely charged glass rod is brought in contact with the neutral glass rod all the e- from neutral rod will move to the another one and the whole neutral rod will become +vely charged now 
1 my ques is firstly how all the e- can travel only valence one should move ?and
2    secondly how  complete body will become charged only that portion in contact should become charged ?

Grade:11

1 Answers

deepak
84 Points
7 years ago
what you are saying is correct only the valence electrons can move into the +vely charged from the nuetral rod.....this is know as redistribution of charge …...also the fact is that the rod dosent get completly charged . ex  : if the rod intially had +q charge then on contact and removal both the rods have a +ve charge of +q/2 also since glass is a insulator your pt no 2 is also correct that only the charges in the pt of contact will undergo redistribution  i’ll give you another example consdier a case where the +ve rod has a charge of +q on one end and a charge of + q on the other now suppose i bring the tip of the nuetral rod in contact only with one end of the +ve rod then charge distribution will take place only at that end and the  charges at that end will become +q/2 but the charge on the the other side of the +ve rod that is the other +q will remain intact........all of these happen only because glass is an insulator if a conductor like cu is used then what your teacher told is correct...

P.S. your teacher will know all these facts you just have to remind her that glass is an insulator she has stated the facts for a conductor instead

hope this was useful XD

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free