Hello, My understanding is, that in Rotational Motion - we no longer can have body to exist as point masses because at each point velocity is different ( Rigid Body) and also that the axis of rotation now is of much significance. Then, say we take a body. Its kept on the surface. Obviously for each point on the surface, there will be those many normals. Say, the body touches the surface distinctly at 100 points- then 100 corresponding normals. Then, why still we consider and even show that only one normal exist WHICH always passes through the center of mass. For sure there exist a normal that passes through the center of mass. But not all normals pass through the center of mass. There must be some torque due to those normals right? Why are they ignored Please point out my misconception or develop my understanding. Thank You.

Hello,
My understanding is, that in Rotational Motion - we no longer can have body to exist as point masses because at each point velocity is different ( Rigid Body) and also that the axis of rotation now is of much significance.
Then, say we take a body. Its kept on the surface. Obviously for each point on the surface, there will be those many normals.
Say, the body touches the surface distinctly at 100 points- then 100 corresponding normals.
Then, why still we consider and even show that only one normal exist WHICH always passes through the center of mass. For sure there exist a normal that passes through the center of mass. But not all normals pass through the center of mass. 
There must be some torque due to those normals right?
Why are they ignored
Please point out my misconception or develop my understanding.

Thank You.

Grade:10

0 Answers

No Answer Yet!

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free