34. (i) Under which category of mixtures will you classify alloys and why? (ii) A solution is always a liquid. Comment. (iii) Can a solution be heterogeneous?

34. (i) Under which category of mixtures will you classify alloys and why?
(ii) A solution is always a liquid. Comment.
(iii) Can a solution be heterogeneous?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Pawan Prajapati
askIITians Faculty 60787 Points
3 years ago
(i) When constituent particles of a combination of two or more element or compound retains their properties, then it is called mixture. In an alloy the constituent particles lose, hence alloys are classified as homogeneous mixture. For example : Steel is an alloy of carbon and iron. (ii) Since, a solution is the homogeneous mixture of two or more substances, thus it is not necessary that a solution would always a liquid. A solution can be in all the three states of matter. A solution is a homogeneous mixture and can be in all the three states of matter. Example : Solution of alcohol in water is a liquid. Air is a solution of different gases. Alloy is a solution which is in the form of solids. (iii) Solution is defined as the homogeneous mixture, hence a solution cannot be heterogeneous. But, when a mixture becomes heterogeneous, it cannot be fall under the definition of solution.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free