NIT Warangal was started in 1959 as a Regional Engineering College with Civil Electrical and mechanical Engineering departments. In the beginning NIT Warangal was affiliated to the Osmania University but in 1972 its affiliation changed to the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University. In 1976 its affiliation changed again to Kakatiya University. The foundation stone of NIT Warangal was laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. It was his dream to see India as leader of technology. The Institute got the status of deemed University in September 2002 and was renamed to the National Institute of Technology. Afterwards in August 2007 it got the status of Institute of National Importance i.e. INI.
NIT Warangal Campus is situated in a place called Kazipet, Andhra Pradesh and the National Highway 202 runs alongside the institute campus. The Institute has a well equipped library, a computer centre, and lecture hall complex, various laboratories in different departments, workshops, hostels, health care centre, and adequate facilities for sports, games and co-curricular activities.
NIT Warangal has the excellent residential facilities; it is a fully residential institute having 16 Boys and 2 girls' hostels. There are 5 messes' attached to the boy's hostels and two separate messes for the girls. All the hostels are equipped with essential facilities like well furnished room, separate TV room, Reading room, conference hall etc. NIT Warangal also has a small shopping complex within the campus. Internet center, wireless LAN, centralized music system is also established in campus and hostels.
Departments and Centers:
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Biotechnology
- Centre for Management Studies
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics & Humanities
- Department of Physical Education
- Centre for Value Education
- Centre for Management Studies
- Centre designed for Educational Technology
Not only in Technical areas but NIT Warangal has its own cultural values too. There are two main annual events in the institute. One is "Technozion", an all India level Technical fest and the second one is "Spring Pree", a cultural fest. This fest was started 27 years ago. It is purely a youth festival which celebrates the spirit of youth. In these events students from all the major college take parts to present their talents and work.
NIT Warangal is 7th best Engineering College in India. The Institute has its own alumni association for different purposes. The first Indian employee in Microsoft, Mr. Rao Remala is from NIT Warangal. Three of its alumni are now Members of Parliament.
List of Alumni:
- K. V. Kamath, (KAR: BTech 1969), CEO of ICICI Bank
- Lilian Jessie Paul, (TRI: BE) Chief Marketing Officer, Wipro Technologies
- S. P. Rao, (ROU: BTech 1972), MD, ISP, SAIL
- P K Mohapatra, (ROU: BTech 1972), President and CEO(Technology), RPG Enterprises
- C B K Rao, (JAM: MTech), MD, Delhi Metro Rail Corp.
- C P Gurnani, (ROU: BTech 1981), President, Tech-Mahindra
- Nelabhotla Venkateswarlu, (ALL: BTech), CEO, Emami Limited
- Nitish Kumar, (PAT: BTech), Chief Minister of Bihar