National Institute of Technology (NIT), Jamshedpur
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur is one of the 20 NITs in India. One of the premier engineering colleges in India it was formerly known as Regional Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur. Established in 1960 in Jamshedpur in Bihar, NIT Jamshedpur is among the earliest eight Regional Engineering Colleges that were established as joint ventures between the Government of India and State Governments, with the aim to generate technical graduates of highest standards who could provide technological leadership to the region.
Spread over a campus of 320 acres, NIT, Jamshedpur has with it 115 faculty, 1350 students, 300 administrative and supporting staff. It is located on the outskirts of Jamshedpur on an area of 320 acres of sprawling, rolling hilly, wooded land, about 2 km off the Tata-Seraikella Road. It is also about 3 km from the Adityapur railway station, at the epicenter of the industrial belt of Adityapur. The academic and administrative buildings are sited in between the Up-Hostels and the Down-hostels. The Institute also has nearly 100 laboratories organized on a unique pattern of functioning. The facilities in the campus also include central computer facility which provides a three tier service in the form of laboratory service, network service, and computational service. The institute also offers hostel facilities.
- 1. Computer Science and Engineering
- 2. Electrical Engineering
- 3. Electronics Engineering
- 4. Mathematics and Humanities
- 5. Mechanical Engineering
- 6. Metallurgical Engineering. and Material Science
- 7. Physics
- 8. Production Engineering. and Management
- 9. Applied Mechanics
- 10. Chemistry
- 11. Civil Engineering
- 12. Computer Application.
The B. Tech course is offered in the following disciplines
- 1. metallurgical Engineering and Material Science
- 2. Production Engineering and Management
- 3. Civil Engineering
- 4. Computer Science and Engineering
- 5. Electrical Engineering
- 6. Electronics Engineering
- 7. Mechanical Engineering
The M. Tech course is offered in the following subjects
- 1. Extractive metallurgy (metallurgical Engineering. & Material. Science Department.)
- 2. Foundry Technology (metallurgical Engineering. & Material Science Department)
- 3. Power System (Electrical Engineering.' Department.)
- 4. Computer Integrated Design and Manufacturing (Mechanical Engineering. department)
- 5. Surface Science and Engineering. (Chemistry Department).
There are 11 hostels altogether, 9 for boys and 2 for girls. Each hostel is provided with Wi-Fi and LAN connections. Each hostel has its own mess and common room, where residents are avail to television, magazines and newspapers.
The college has many clubs out of which, the most prominent ones are the CDS, LDS, and the NSS. The annual college fest is Pravah- the technical fest, and the Utkash- the cultural fest.
With a long line of impressive list of alumnus along the years, Nit, Jamshedpur has to its credit the knack for providing technical professionals, some of the prominent ones amongst them being:
- CBK Rao- Managing Director, DMRC
- RV Shahi- CMD, NTPC
- RT Singh -GM, Tata Motors, Jamshedpur.
- Prof. Chitranjan Sahay- Chairman of Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Hartford, USA.
- Prof. AK Lahiri- Head, Metallurgical Engineering Department, IISc Bangalore.
- Sanjeev Paul- Managing Director, Jamshedpur Utility Services Co., Jamshedpur