Harcourt Butler Technological Institute
‘The Indian Industrial Commission’, at its Nainital meeting in 1907 proposed two institutions for engineering - one at Roorkee and the other at Kanpur, thus, to boost entrepreneurship, to create a sound environment for applied research and also to inculcate scientific and technical temper, an Institute called `Government Research Institute, Cawnpore' was inaugurated in 1920. On 25th of November, 1921 the then Governor of the United Provinces, Sir Spencer Harcourt Butler, formally laid the foundation of the present building, after whom the name of the Institute was finally changed to the present one in 1926.
HBTI, Kanpur is on a campus spread around an area of 348 acres divided into two parts, east campus (77 acres) and west campus (271 acres), situated about 3 km apart. The college is affiliated to the Uttar Pradesh Technical University, Kanpur. It runs 13 undergraduate courses in various engineering discipline and 3 post graduate courses, in addition to which it also has active research programs. Categorized as the 21st best institute in the country, the institute has both Hostel and library facilities and in total has four departments, Engineering, Humanities, Sciences and Work shop.
LIST OF DEPARTMENTS:
‘Incord’, the department has earned a reputation for creating intellectually and technically competent individuals within the portals of this time tested institute of more than 80 years of standing. Organizing conferences, workshop and symposiums in the premises on national level and the success of this festival has brought laurels to the department. The event aims to bring together aficionados in the field of software and give the participants a prospect to think through the potentials of new technologies.
HBTI Kanpur alumni association has a number of chapters around the globe, which works closely with the Alumni Association to involve HBTI Kanpur alumni through various activities towards excellence.