ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

What is equivalent weight?explain with example.

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Menka,

By definition one equivalent (or equivalent weight) of a substance is the amount of that substance which supplies or consumes one mol of reactive species. In acid-base chemistry the reactive species is the hydrogen ion (H1+) while in oxidation-reduction chemistry the reactive species is the electron. For example, in the following two reactions the equivalent weight of H2SO4 would be 49 grams or 0.5 mol in the first reaction but 98 grams or 1 mol in the second. On the other hand, sodium hydroxide has the same equivalent weight in both reactions, one mol or 40 grams.
(1) H2SO4 + 2NaOH ------> Na2SO4 + 2H2O
(2) H2SO4 + NaOH ------> NaHSO4 + H2O

In the first reaction one mol of H2SO4 supplies 2 mols of H1+ to NaOH, therefore, one-half mol of H2SO4 or 49 grams is one equivalent. The conditions are different in the second reaction because sulfuric acid only "looses" one hydrogen so the equivalent weight of sulfuric acid is one mol or 98 grams. However, sodium hydroxide behaves the same in both reactions, that is, one mol of sodium hydroxide always "consumes" one mol of H1+, so its equivalent weight remains the same at one mol or 40 grams.

Best Of luck

Plz Approve the answer...!!!!

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It’s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and winexciting gifts by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple click here to download the toolbar….
So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
In Thomson experiment the electron is deflected downwards when only magnetic fied is applied (This deflection need to be left or right side). Why this happens? . But there is a logic/reason...

motion of achrged particle in presence of magnetic field If a positively charged particle moves with an initial uniform velocity in a direction perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field, B,...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago

I can’t understand wich cicle you mean ? & Can you give the writings in the image as written becz I cant able to read from this image . and can you tll me how to post image when Im...

Vineeth 4 months ago
Sir , I cant visulize this image and understand it can you explain?

The above figure can be understand in terms of Molecular orbital theory .According to this theory the electrons are not assigned to individual bonds between atoms, but are treated as moving...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago

Thanks for your deep answer , I have more doubt from your answer i belive you will help me to get me out of it. They are Why 2P y is not participating ihere? In the statment “ . Can only PI...

Vineeth 4 months ago
bile juice responcible for emulsification of fats is stored in

Bile or gall is a bitter-tasting, dark green to yellowish brown fluid, produced by the liver of most vertebrates, that aids the digestion of lipids in the small intestine. In humans, bile is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago

Hello Student Bile juice is one of the number of ther digesive juices prent in human digestive system. Bile juice is responcible for emulsification of the fats of the foold. Bille juice is...
  img
Gaurav 3 months ago
what is more stable benzylic or allyic ?

An allylic cation is a carbocation with the positive charge on an allylic carbon; an allylic carbon is a carbon adjacent to an sp2 carbon of an alkene. CH2=CHC + HR ALLYLIC CARBON A benzylic...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago

since benzylic cation can delocaize the electrons more efficiently than alylic

Abhishek one month ago
Q . which is the correct order of decreasing stability of the following cations?

i think the correct the correct answer is c because of stabilisation by lone pairs in third and second case,, and for the comparison between second and third option , third option with less...

daksh 3 months ago

sorry wrong answer.....please give a right answer with proper explanation

bharat makkar 3 months ago

YES.....GOT IT...THANKS ….....

bharat makkar 3 months ago
Select the correct statements regarding E2 reactions it is anti-periplanar rearrangements take place it is a single step reaction

Yes u r right, actually it was my fault, I mean first and last and so I should have to write 1 and 3. Thanks for your comment. ......................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago

1 and 2. For details please read the text book. ......................... ....................................................... ..........................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago

The correct statements are it is anti- periplanar it is single step reaction

Himaja 3 months ago
View all Questions »