what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

If you will follow the steps you will get the answer. General Steps Step 1:Try to balance the atoms in the equation by inspection, that is, by the standard technique for balancing non-redox...
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago
Hi experts could you notify me on the BITSAT 2015 announcement and also suggest me which book to refer for organic chemistry – OP Tandon or RS Agarwal.

Important Notifications for BITSAT! BITSAT date of Examination - 14th May to 1st June 2014 BITSAT 2014 Notification released. Online application has begun. To apply online for BITSAT go to...
  img
Harishwar 23 days ago

Thanks for the reply. Again confused. Are you replying about 2014 announcement?

Vishuwaesh 23 days ago
hyperconjugation occurs in: please expain the answer

thanks for the reply,but the answer is C.

HARSHIT SHARMA 2 months ago

arey koi reply kar do

HARSHIT SHARMA one month ago

Hyperconjugation makes the carbocations more stabilized than when hyperconjugation occurs with radicals (not so stable). This is explained due to the fact that in carbocations, both...

Indranil Roy 2 months ago
The existence of quantized electronic energy levels is a direct result of the wave like properties of electrons and are allowed solutions of Schrodinger wave equation. Can you explain this...

we have according to debroglie equation for wavelength of a particle l=h/mv where,l=wavelength of the particle h=plancks constant v=velocity of the electron for electron, in a quantised...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 19 days ago
​Q . ARRANGE THE THE FOLLOWING IN DECREASING ORDER OF DIPOLE MOMENT- CH 3 Cl , CH 2 Cl 2 , CHCl 3 , CCl 4 CH 3 F , CH 3 Cl , CH 3 Br , CH 3 I o- chloro toluene , m- chloro toluene , p-...

INCREASING ORDER OF DIPOLE MOMENT:- 1- CCl4<CHCl3<CH2Cl2<CH3Cl 2= CH3I<CH3Br<CH3Cl<CH3F 3-p<m<o chlorotoluene(The bond angle increases the dipole moment decreases )...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
in lathanides, why neodymium possess high paramagnatism than others?

ThetetragonalNd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxialmagnetocrystalline anisotropy(HA~7teslas- magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).This gives...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago

Respected sunil kumar sir, i cann’t clearely understand your answer , so pls give details broadly.

muthu sankar g 2 months ago
View all Questions »