what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
In cannizaro reaction, after the heterolytic cleavage of the pi bond due to the attack of the OH - ion at the carbonyl carbon, the pi bond is reformed and a H- ion leaves. Why is it more...

http://www.askiitians.com/revision-notes/chemistry/aldehydeketone-and-carboxylic-acid/ . Please go through this...
  img
Harishwar 2 months ago

I found out the answer. The OH- attacks the electrophillic carbonyl carbon and the pi bond of the carbonyl oxygen is broken and the electron moves to the oxygen. Since the medium is basic in...

Amogh 2 months ago
Does this compound show geometrical isomerism?

To get geometric isomers you must have: restricted rotation two different groups on the left-hand end of the bond and two different groups on the right-hand end. It doesn't matter...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
I have a class test tommorow on biomolecules.I have only 2-3 hours to study is it enough and what are the topics I should concentrate on. Please reply urgently!!

Study about starch, cellulose linkages, glucose structure, its properties, different tests for glucose classification of amino acids, structure of amino acids, fructose structure , DNA and...
  img
Harishwar 3 months ago
How to determine the compounds having dipole moment from their structure?

dipole moment is a vector quantity.Dipole momentcan be defined as the product of magnitude of charges and the distance of separation between the charges.it is base on electronegativity of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago
caculate the mass of urea required to prepare 2.5 kg of 0.5 m aq.soln.?

mass of urea required to prepare 2.5 kg of 0.5 m aq.soln. 2NH3 +CO2 -----NH2CONH2 +H2O molar mass of urea =60 molality =.5 .5=number of mole of urea/2.5 number of mole=1.25 weight of the...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

sir but the ans is 74.1,is it ok.?

Shriya Mehrotra one month ago
If 1.27 g of iodine is liberated,when 10 ml solution of H2O2 is reacted with acidified KI solution.Then the volume strenghth of H2O2 is.?

Meq of H2O2 = Meq of I2 (w/34)*1000 = [1.27/(254/2)]*1000 w=0.34 g Thus 0.34 g of H2O2will give =(11.2/34)*.34 =0.028 litre =28 ml Thus volume strength of H2O2is = 28/10=2.8...
  img
Ramreddy one month ago

N1V1= N2V2 N1 X 10 = 2.54/254 = 0.001 N Volume strength of H2O2 = 5.6 X Normality = 5.6 X 0.001 = 0.0056 Vol....
  img
Ramreddy one month ago

i didnt get the ans .the ans is 2.8

Shriya Mehrotra one month ago
View all Questions »