what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
What are Optically Pure Compounds and using them explain the role of Amines as “RESOLVING AGENTS” to seperaty the Recemic Forms of Acidic Compounds by formation of DIASTEREOMERIC Salts.

A compound is optically pure if it contains only one enantiomer. You can use polarized light to determine the optical purity. A chiral amines can be used to resolve a racemic mixture of...
  img
Harishwar one month ago
Hi experts could you notify me on the BITSAT 2015 announcement and also suggest me which book to refer for organic chemistry – OP Tandon or RS Agarwal.

Important Notifications for BITSAT! BITSAT date of Examination - 14th May to 1st June 2014 BITSAT 2014 Notification released. Online application has begun. To apply online for BITSAT go to...
  img
Harishwar 18 days ago

Thanks for the reply. Again confused. Are you replying about 2014 announcement?

Vishuwaesh 18 days ago
what is the differece between ionization potential 1 , ionization potential 2 and ionization potential 3 ??

Ionization potential 1 is the energy reqired to remove the last electron from outer most orbit and IP 2 is energy required to remove the 2 nd elcetron from outer most orbit and IP 3 is...

Sai Pawan 3 months ago
In Thomson experiment the electron is deflected downwards when only magnetic fied is applied (This deflection need to be left or right side). Why this happens? . But there is a logic/reason...

motion of achrged particle in presence of magnetic field If a positively charged particle moves with an initial uniform velocity in a direction perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field, B,...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 13 days ago

I can’t understand wich cicle you mean ? & Can you give the writings in the image as written becz I cant able to read from this image . and can you tll me how to post image when Im...

Vineeth 13 days ago
pls provide me information on diff types of backbonding eg. ppi-ppi,ppi-dpi,dpi,ppi,,,,,etc

Pπ- Pπ bonding is called back bonding In BF3molecule the 2P orbitals of each F atom are fully filled, while one of 2Porbital of the B atom is vacant. The two 2P orbitals involved in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
how do polar solvents help in the first step in SN1 mechanism

TheSN1 reactionis asubstitution reactioninorganic chemistry. "SN" stands fornucleophilic substitutionand the "1" represents the fact that therate-determining...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
View all Questions »