ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
ways to learn organic reaction

Hello student you should practise each and every reaction by writing in ur copy . All the Best . Hit approve if u got even a little help by my answer :) Thanks .

Drake 15 days ago

just practicee as much que as you can from various books and u will automatically get reactions into ur mind approve if useful

ng29 19 days ago

refer sn sanyal for mechanisms himanshu pandey for questions approve if useful approve if useful

ng29 15 days ago
what is oh group

In organic chemistry,OH represents the functional group-hydroxyl group.There is a single covalent bond between hydrogen and oxygen atom. It is represented as R-OH.Here Oh is a functional...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago

In organic chemistry,OH represents the functional group-hydroxyl group.There is a single covalent bond between hydrogen and oxygen atom. It is represented as R-OH.Here Oh is a functional...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
hoe to name this compound plzz see the image below

3,3-dimethy 5-(1,1-diethyl) propyl decane

hemanshi 9 days ago

3,3-dimethy 5-(1,1-diethyl) propyl decane

Akash 9 days ago
HCO3 ANION EXIST AS DIMER DUE TO HYDROGEN BOND. YES OR NO? EXPLAIN?

HCO 3 - doesnot have hydrogen bonding.Hydrogen bonding is mainly the property of covalent compounds with polar bonds. But this is an ionic salt and thus does not show hydrogen bonding.
  img
Pankaj 27 days ago

you cant say its ionic bcz the bond between H+ and CO3- is ionic and CO3- is covalent

samatom 5 days ago
Explain the concept of banana/tau bonding.

Bananas are fun things, those of you who might have thought that I have changed into Sean Banancan relax and breathe easy again. I am here to talk about the banana bond. This is the informal...
  img
Harishwar 6 months ago

It was a bit complicated.. However.. I have read that Banana bond is a result of partial sharing of two hydrogen atoms by two boron atoms.. And the bent that appears, is it because of the...

ANMOL SETH 5 months ago
Question is attached... {ALTS-10 Q68}

ANS-option 2 20 KO2 + H20 = 20 KOH + 10 O2
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago
View all Questions »