what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I am really confused at this. As far as I know is CH3 increases electron density in the ring, thus toluidiene must be more basic. But that''s not what my book says(that aniline is...

if its ortho toluidine, then its less basic than aniline because of "ortho effect".... whilst meta and para toluidine as you said are more basic than aniline....

Varun Acharya 8 months ago

did you understand my explanation... if yes then plz reply positively.... ;)

Varun Acharya 6 months ago

*toluidiene --> toluidine

Abhishek Verma 8 months ago
what is quantum number?

A large number of orbitals are possible in a atom.Qualitatively these orbitals are distinguished by their size,shape and orientation.The atomic orbitals are precisively distinguished by what...

BAYANA SAGAR one year ago

qutanum no tells us about the shape and orientation of an electron according to quantum mechanics......there are 4 sets of quantum number that are principal quantum no(n) = it determines the...

pulkit 7 months ago

quantum numbers are called the address of electrons...4 quantum numbers-principal quantum number(n),azimuthal quantum number(l),magnetic quantum number(m) and spin quantum number(s).n tells...

Prabir Saha one year ago
Why does the benzene ring shifts ?

In benzene molecule(C 6 H 6 ),all six carbon atoms are sp 2 hybridised.Two sp 2 hybrid orbitals of each C-atom overlap with sp 2 hybrid orbitals of adjacent C-atoms to form six C-C sigma...
  img
Aarti Gupta 13 days ago
I just want a book which makes me able to crack iit jee main and advance in chemistry …. please help me quickly ,.. which book i shoul buy …???

best books for chemistry(jee main and advance) physical- p bahadur and optandon inorganic-jdlee and optandon organic-morrison boyd and arihant publication
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
question bank

practise from any good book.it is ok thanks and regards sunil kr askIITian faculty
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
i need any tips to memorize inorganic chemistry

Hello Student. You have asked a very important question. But the answer is , There is no need to memorize it. You should try to understand the concepts of inorganic chemistry. It is not...
  img
sumit kumar one month ago
View all Questions »