ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Q . EXAMINE THE FOLLOWING TWO CANONICAL STRUCTURES AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT STATEMENT FROM THE GIVEN BELOW-( MORE THAN ONE CORRECT) (1) IS MORE STABLE THAN TWO (2) IS MORE STABLE THAN (1) (1)...

More the number of pi-bond, more is the stability and hence (2) is more stable (so having less energy than (1)) canonical structure and contribute more in resonating structure....
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

i request you to please help me in other questions that r posted....thanks

Bharat Makkar 6 months ago
best books

PLease mention for whcih purpose you want best books (Class or Exam or Subject or Topic)
  img
Harsh Patodia 2 months ago

please specify

dhanunjayavarma 2 months ago
IF THERE ARE THREE POSSIBLE VALUES FOR SPIN QUANTUM NO , THEN POSSIBLE NUMBER OF ELEMENTS IN THE 5TH PERIODIC TABLE WOULD BE: ANS=27 HOW??

see if there r three spin quantm numbers then each orbital will contain three electron in each sub shell then s will contain 3 electron p will contain 9 electronand d will contain 15...

Shahid 8 days ago

see if there r three spin quantm numbers then each orbital will contain three electron in each sub shell then s will contain 3 electron p will contain 9 electronand d will contain 15...

Shahid 8 days ago

Shahid 8 days ago
what is ionic conductance?

Ionic conduction (denoted by λ-lambda) is the movement of an ion from one site to another through defects in the crystal lattice of a solid or aqueous solution. Ionic conduction is...
  img
Harishwar 3 months ago

i am asking about ionic conductance not conduction, like molar conductance and equivalent conductance

Moyooree Biswas 3 months ago
Sir, What is the best book for Inorganic Chemistry?

i think J D Lee

Abhishek Singh 4 months ago

op tandan

Rajeev kushwaha 4 months ago
Explain the structure of [Cu(NH)3]2+

oxidation state ia a nuber of electron gained or lost by atom.oxidation state of uncombined element is zero

tanveer ul haq 6 months ago

what is oxidation state

k ashok kumar 6 months ago
View all Questions »