what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
how to know that which reaction will be sn1 or sn2 ?

Let’s compare the SN1 and the SN2. The MechanismThe SN2 reaction is concerted. That is, the SN2 occurs in one step, and both the nucleophile and substrate are involved in the rate...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 4 days ago
How to convert ethanol to methanol?

CH3-OH + HBr ------> CH3Br + H2O The next step requires a Gilman reagent, specifically (CH3)2Cu-Li+. Gilman reagents add chains to other molecules. CH3BR + (CH3)2Cu-Li+ ------> CH3-CH3...
  img
Sher Mohammad 3 months ago
I in case of CF3I has a partial charge of +1 and in case of CH3I has a partial charge of -1. Why? I know it is related to electronegativity but please explain!

IN case of CF3I it dissociates as CF3- and I+ the charge on iodine is +1 whereas CH3I dissociates as CH3+ and I- the charge in case of I- is -1.see as the electronegativity of flourine is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
In the first question, the wavelength of light is 620 nm.

Hi student, The question is incomplete. (Where is the first question ?) Please put complete question in another post. Experts will answer your question thereafter.
  img
Harsh Patodia 4 days ago
AP4 ) How much rust (Fe 2 O 3 ) will be formed, when 100 kg of iron have completely rusted away? ( Atomic weights: Fe = 56 ; O = 16; H = 1)

The reaction can be given as: 4Fe..+.......3O2.............>2Fe2O3 so 100kg iron means.....100*1000g Fe ....................................(100000/56) mol Fe From reaction we can see...
  img
Naveen Kumar 4 days ago
View all Questions »