DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

what effect the branching of an alkane has on its melting point

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear student,

Alkanes experience inter-molecular Van der Waals forces. The stronger the force, the greater will be the boiling point of the alkane.

As branching increases, the surface area of the molecule decreases which results in a small area of contact. As a result, the Van der Waals force also decreases which can be overcome at a relatively lower temperature. Hence, the boiling point of an alkane chain decreases with an increase in branching.

BEST OF LUCK..!!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.. 

AMAN BANSAL                

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
carbon

Dear student Carbon is a chemical element with symbol C and atomic number 6. As a member of group 14 on the periodic table, it is nonmetallic and tetravalent—making four electrons...
  img
Nishant Vora 22 days ago

plz clarify your question

Prajwal Kavad 15 days ago
Why +I group increases bascitiy and delocalization of l.p. increases basicity..???

+I groups are those groups which delocalize the electron pair away from itself. Therefore a partial + charge + appears on the group and - on the carbon to which it is attached.Now when a +I ...

Neeti 3 days ago

absolutely. :) which part was not clear? the delocalization right? see, nitrogen, oxygen, these atoms when in the form of a compound, have lone pairs. they can donate these lone pairs to...

Neeti 3 days ago

No No, i thought the same but then i thought that you must be talking about the group itself which is showing delocalization and that is also showing basicity. see in case of...

Neeti 3 days ago
WHAT ARE Polar Covalent Bonds PLEASE DESCRIBE WITH SOME EXAMPLES TO UNDERSTAND FOR ME

Polar Covalent Bonds In our discussion of chemical bonds in Section 1.4, we examined compounds such as LiF in which the bond is between two atoms with very large electronegativity...

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya 7 days ago

Polar covalent bonds strongly influence the physical properties and reactivity of molecules. In many cases, these polar covalent bonds are part of functional groups, which we shall study...

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya 7 days ago
what are blocks in chemistry

there are four blocks in periodic table. S block (alkali) P block ( containing halogens and non- metals) D block (Transition element ) F block
  img
Ashutosh Sharma 17 days ago
is Physical Chemistry and Numerical Chemistry same ?

physical chemistry is a different branch of chemistry which deals with physical phenomenon of chemistry, such as different laws of chemical combinations. chemical kinetics, laws of...

Rijit Singh 10 days ago
How to remember p block reactions

No shortcut, you have to start from NCERT and go through the questions..
  img
Saurabh Kumar 2 months ago

it is very important chapter in both jeee main and advance u start with ncert by reading the text and marking the important points and do intext as well as back questions then have a look...

ng29 2 months ago

if u know how to balance reaction then just remember the products as many of the reactions have common products

Shubham Singh 2 months ago
View all Questions »