There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

conducter have charges only on surfaces.why?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Pavan

Inside a conductor, electro static field is zero.

A conductor has free electrons, and they experience a force only when the electric field is not zero. In a static situation, the free electrons gets itself distributed in such a way that, the electric field everywhere inside the conductor is zero

In a static situation, when a conductor is charged, the excess charges reside only on the surface. If we consider any arbitrary volume inside a conductor, the electrostatic field on closed surface bounding the arbitrary volume is zero. Thus, the flux through the surface is zero. By Gauss's theorem, there is no net charge enclosed by closed surface. If the surface and volume is made very small, it shows that there is no net charge inside and no excess charge can reside on the surface

2nd Reason

we know very well that any particle or body always tries to acquire minimum potential energy. the charges will acquire min. P.E only when they are on the surface

All the best.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electrostatics

Please help with the question attached in the file. Thank you
Since the condenser(capacitor) plates are oppositely charged, they exert (equal)force on the charged particle in the same direction and hence the total force on the particle is the sum of...
Raman Mishra one month ago
Electrostatic field lines do not form closed loops. Give reason. [ 1 mark question ]
A force is said to be conservative if its work along a trajectory to go from a point Ato a point B is equal to the difference U(A)−U(B) where U is a function called potential energy....
Riddhish Bhalodia 8 months ago
I read in my ncert book that "however, take care not to let the Gaussian surface pass through any discrete charge. This is because electric field due to a system of discrete charges is not...
If the Gaussioan surface would pass through the dicrete charge then there would be a contradiction with what part of chrge would be considered inside the surface that is to say that Electric...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Which magazine is best for jee mains aspirants please tell me. Thank you in advance
@ afzal there are many magazines by mtg and arihant and all of them are actually usefull to the aspirants . i am naming some of the magazines that i referred for my prep . 1- SPECTRUM...
Umakant biswal one month ago
In a rocket, the mass of the fuel is 90% of the total mass.The exhaust gases are ejected at a speed of 2 km/s. Find the maximum speed attained by the rocket. Neglect gravity and air...
F = dP/dt = > d(mv)/dt = > vdm/dt + mdv/dt after integrating something we get, v = uln(mi/m) + vi = 2000 * 2.303*log(0.9) = – 210.75 m/s in opposirte direction of that fuel eecting.
2017 years ago
A Ball is thrown verticall upward with a velocity ‘u’ from the balloon descending with a constant velocity ‘v’. The ball will pass by the balloon after time ?
Dear Ranjeet Kumar, How can you Take Displacement of ball be “vt” . It should be “vt+1/2gt 2 . Its right Answer is 2(u+v)/g. I know the answer. But dont know how to solve.
Kuldeep Pal one month ago
The question needs the basic understanding of motion to solve it. considering the downward direction to be +ve and taking ground as the reference point, we have : initial velocity of ball...
RANJEET KUMAR one month ago
Dear Kuldeep, the velocity u of the ball must be with respect to the balloon. Then, taking the upward direction as positive we have: Initial velocity of the ball = u Constant velocity of...
Raman Mishra one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Electrostatics

Ask Experts