The National Institute of Technology –Trichy at Tiruchirappalli is situated in Tamil Nadu on the banks of the Kaveri River. Located in Thuvakudi on the Tiruchirappalli-Tanjore National Highway (NH67) 22 kilometres away from Trichy Railway Junction, the institute has the credibility of consistently being rated as one of the top engineering schools in the nation today. NIT- Ttichy was started in the year 1964 and is today an independent co-educational technological institute, with twenty three Graduate programs and ten Undergraduate on its curriculum. NITT also has to its credit a Management and Architecture school. NITT was started in 1964 as a joint endeavour of the Government of Tamil Nadu and the Government of India with a view of catering to the needs of manpower in technology for the country. Contributing to India and the World through excellence in scientific and technical education a valuable resource for industry and society and to sustain the heritage of India and increase the human values is what can be said to be the vision of NITT. Academic integrity and Intellectual Excellence, Accountability, Equality, Social Relevance and Creativity, and Entrepreneurship all accounts for the value of the NITT. Its mission is to sustain academic growth, to create new knowledge, to identify areas of specialization upon which the Institute can concentrate, to enter on collaborative projects and to expand human potential to its fullest degree of intellectual capability.
Housing facilities are provided for most of the staff and students inside the college campus of about 800 acres (3.2 km2), with essential and basic amenities available inside the campus itself. There is the NITT Hospital, a Hindu temple, Post & Telegraph facilities, Telecom centre, fully computerized State Bank of India branch, also having ATM facility, canteens, a book shop, a reprographic centre, swimming pool, co-op. stores, all in the premises of the campus thus making the whole sector a self-contained mini-township. The academic zone includes the laboratories, ten department buildings, auditorium, state-of-the-art computer centres, a centralized lecture theatre building, and the main Library. Also the campus boasts of a brand new digital library which is still under construction, a modern hospital and a primary school building.
The residential zone mainly comprises the 13 boys’ hostels and the 1 girls’ hostel which in total has the capacity to accommodate nearly 2507 postgraduate and undergraduate students. The hostel mess is managed by committees consisting of elected student representatives and staff representatives with the institute providing its very own transport system for procurement of the raw materials for the messes. There is a Warden in each hostel, with the exception of the first year UG Men's hostels which has two resident Deputy Wardens, and in the Ladies' hostel there is 3 resident Deputy Wardens. The hostels are provided with facilities like televisions, Intercom, water purifiers, DOT telephones and coolers, outdoor and indoor sports kits, and student-managed amenity centres. The 14 hostels are: Boys Hostel- Agate, Garnet A, Pearl, Beryl, Garnet B, Ruby, Coral, Jade, Sapphire, Diamond, Lapis, Topaz, and Emerald: and the Girls Hostel- Opal.
• Chemical Engineering
• Civil Engineering
• Computer Applications
• Computer Science and Engineering
• Electrical and Electronics Engineering
• Electronics and Communication Engineering
• Humanities (English)
• Instrumentation and Control Engineering
• Management Studies
• Mechanical Engineering
• Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
• Production Engineering
Events at NITT include Festember- a 3 day cultural extravaganza for colleges in the region. Technical symposia are conducted by the departments, during January-March, every year.
• FESTEMBER- annual cultural and literary festival, held in the month of September.
• PRAGYAN- annual technical festival which was started in 2005).
• NITTFEST- annual inter-departmental cultural and literary festival.
Student Organizations- Entrepreneurship Cell of NITT
• ACM Student's Chapter (First Chapter in India)
• DELTA, NITT
• SAE, NITT
• IEEE Student Branch, NITT
• Robotics and Machine Intelligence, NITT
• PSI, NITT
• Dance Troupe of NITT
• Music Troupe of NITT
• The Thespians' Society of NITT
• Balls by Picasso, the Literary Society of NITT
• Cinema Paradiso
• AAYAM Club of NITT
• CRY Club of NITT
• Wisdom Club
• Rotaract Club of Rock City
• Rotaract Club of NITT
• UNESCO Club of NITT
• Leo Club of NITT
• Apekshaa Club of NITT
• Tamizh Mandram, NITT
• Karate Club, NITT
Along the years the alumni has been an impressive line of professionals. But the ones truly worth mentioning are:
• Shanmugam Nagappan, Senior Vice President - IT, Insight Enterprises, Dallas, USA.
• Guruswami Ravichandran, Professor of Aeronautics and Mechanical Engineering at the prestigious California Institute of Technology (Caltech).
• Satya Prabhakar, Founder and CEO of Sulekha.com - the largest portal for Indian community.
• N. Chandrasekaran, Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director, Tata Consultancy services
• R. Chandrasekharan , President and Managing Director, Cognizant Technology Solutions.
• S. Janakiraman, President & CEO of R&D Services of Mindtree Consulting
• S. Daniel, Founder and CEO at Gaea Global