If taken to the moon would there be any change in the frequency of oscillation of torsional pendulum?

If taken to the moon would there be any change in the frequency of oscillation of torsional pendulum?

Grade:12th pass

2 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
4 years ago
For a torsional pendulum, frequency of oscillation (f) is defined as,f = 1/2π √k/IHere k is the force constant and I is the rotational inertia of the body.For moon gʹ = g/6. But the frequency is independent of g. It depends on k and I, which are always constant for a given mass and cord. So the frequency does not change.For simple pendulum,f = 1/2π √g/lHere g is the acceleration due to gravity and l is length of pendulum. For moon gʹ = g/6. So the frequency of oscillation depends up on acceleration due to gravity g. It changes when you take the simple pendulum to moon due to gravitational acceleration and it becomes,f = 1/2π √g/6l.For simple block oscillator, frequency of oscillation (f) is defined as,f = 1/2π √k/mHere k is the force constant and m is the mass of block.From the above equation f = 1/2π √k/m, we observed that the frequency of oscillation f is independent of acceleration due to gravity g. Therefore it also does not change.For physical pendulum, frequency of oscillation (f) is defined as,f = 1/2π √Mgd/IHere M is the mass of pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass and I is the rotational inertia of body.Since the frequency of oscillation depends up on g, therefore it also changes and it becomes,f = 1/2π √Mgd/6l

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free