Okay my first time I posted the formatting was bad Okay my doubt is- In a container we put a moles of HI with a degree of dissociation x then at eq reaction is- 2HI ↔ H2 + I2 a(1-x) ax/2 ax/2 Ina container we put a moels of PCl5 with DOD x then at eq reaction is- PCl5 case why dont we divide the no of moels at eq for Cl by 2 as we did int eh first for H2 AND I2? nd My doubt is in 2 a(1-x) ax ax PCl3 + Cl2

Okay my first time I posted the formatting was bad

Okay my doubt is-
In a container we put a moles of HI with a degree of dissociation x then at eq reaction is-
2HI ↔ H2 + I2
 a(1-x)  ax/2  ax/2

Ina container we put a moels of PCl5 with DOD x then at eq reaction is-
PCl5 case why dont we divide the no of moels at eq for Cl by 2 as we did int eh first for H2 AND I2?ndMy doubt is in 2
a(1-x)    ax       ax
PCl3 + Cl2

Grade:11

1 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
7 years ago
Hi Divya,
Your doubt is obvious.
See first U would need to check the coefficients of the fully Balanced reaction.
In case of HI the balanced eqn. is
2HI ↔ H2 + I2
 a(1-x)  ax/2  ax/2
and that is so the conctrations are well divie accordint to the mole concept one.
For  a(1-x) moles the conc. for H2 and I2 would obvious get divided by 2 as coeff. of HI is 2 from simple unitary method.
Now in case of PCl5 the reaction is:
                       PCl5      ----------->              PCl3          +              Cl2
at t=t              a(1-x)                                    ax                           ax
as coeff. of PCl5 is 1 from mole concept -1 or from unitary method,
conc. of PCl5 and Cl2 would be 1 too.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free