KonnoWallof’s rule states that for a solution , the vapours above it will be more rich (high conc.) in that component which is more volatile . I’m not satisfied with it . If we take a bucket of Water and add some drops of alcohol in it , then how can alcohol be more in concentration in the vapours above. It will get exhausted too earlier than exceeding the conc. of water in vapours. Please clear what this rule is.

KonnoWallof’s rule states that for a solution , the vapours above it will be more rich (high conc.) in that component which is more volatile . I’m not satisfied with it . If we take a bucket of Water and add some drops of alcohol in it , then how can alcohol be more in concentration in the vapours above. It will get exhausted too earlier than exceeding the conc. of water in vapours. Please clear what this rule is.

Grade:11

1 Answers

Pankaj
askIITians Faculty 131 Points
9 years ago
Obviously, if the amount of alcohol is very small as compare to the water, its concentration in the vapour phase would also always be very small as compare to that of water.
But, if both water and alcohol are in same proportion say 500 mL water is mixed with 500 mL alcohol, in this case, the concentration of mole volatile component i.e. alcohol would be higher in vapor phase as compare to water.
I hope its clear to you now.
All the best.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free