I am having doubts in the topic silicon doping, the p-type semiconductors …. As the e- holes moves in the ctystal from +ve to -ve (as they moves opposite of the direction the movement of the electrons), So, what happens tp the electron holes when they are at the extreme ends (-ve terminal) of a crystal? See attached image for understanding my doubt ...

I am having doubts in the topic silicon doping, the p-type semiconductors …. As the e- holes moves in the ctystal from +ve to -ve (as they moves opposite of the direction the movement of the electrons), So, what happens tp the electron holes when they are at the extreme ends (-ve terminal) of a crystal? See attached image for understanding my doubt ...

Question Image
Grade:12

3 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
7 years ago
Doping is the process of adding impurities to intrinsic semiconductors to alter their properties. Normally Trivalent and Pentavalent elements are used to dope Silicon and Germanium. When a intrinsic semiconductor is doped with Trivalent impurity it becomes a P-Type semiconductor. The P stands for Positive, which means the semiconductor is rich in holes or Positive charged ions. When we dope intrinsic material with Pentavalent impurities we get N-Type semiconductor, where N stands for Negative. N-type semiconductors have Negative charged ions or in other words have excess electrons.

How Doping Works?

Atoms follow a rule called Octet Rule. According to Octect-rule atoms are stable when there are eight electrons in their valence. If not, atoms readily accept or share neighboring atoms to achieve eight electrons in their valence shell. In the silicon lattice each silicon atom is surrounded by four silicon atoms. Each silicon atom share one of its electron in the valance shell to its neighbor to satisfy the octect-rule. A schematic diagram of an intrinsic semiconductor is shown in image right (Figure : Intrinsic Silicon Lattice).

Now lets see what will happen when we pop in a pentavalent element into the lattice. As you can see the image (Figure : N-type) , we have doped the silicon lattice with Phosphorous, a pentavalent element. Now pentavalent element has five electrons, so it shares a electron with each of the four neighboring silicon atoms, hence four atoms are tied up with the silicon atoms in the lattice. This leaves an electron extra. This excess electron is free to move and is responsible conduction. Hence N-type (Negative Type) extrinsic semiconductor (silicon in this case) is made by doping the semiconductor with pentavalent element.

To create a P-type semiconductor, all we must do is to pop in a trivalent element into the lattice. A trivalent element has three electrons in its valence shell. It shares three electrons with three neighboring silicon atoms in the lattice, the fourth silicon atom demands an electron but the trivalent atom has no more electron to share. This creates a void in lattice which we call it has hole. Since the electron is deficient, the hole readily accepts an electron, this makes it a P-type (Positive type) extrinsic semiconductor.

As you can see at image (Figure : P-type) , we have poped in boron (trivalent element) in silicon lattice. This has created a hole making the semiconductor a P-type material.

The case is no different in Germanium. Its behaves same as silicon how ever some properties do differ which makes germanium based devices used in certain application and silicon based devices used in other applications.

Malhar Chakraborty
34 Points
7 years ago
Thank you very much ….. But cannot see any images is your answer and ,,,, Actually my question is more spwcifically, that how these holes move in a Silicon or Germanium lattice ? Do they move in only one direction? As the electron flow will be specifically from one direction only and if so, what happends to these holes after reaching the extreme end of the silicon or germanium lattice?
Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ mallhar 
i donot think there are any holes or electron in the extreme end , 
and the picture that u have attached , that is a assumption concept , actually there is not any physical presence of hole , and there is only a presence of electron , but as per convention we are taking the presence of hole as a concept , so, that the doping process will become simpler . 
in the dopping when u will add impurity , those impurity atom actually binds to the active site of the crtystal and it will have either extra electron or extra holes , so, that thing will contribute to the conduction of electric current . 
and all the electron hole combination have strong bonds between them so, that they cannot separate from each other . 
and all the present at the side of depletion layer , and not at the extreme end , i am here talking abt the p-n junction .. 
|HOPE IT CLEARS YOUR DOUBT 
KINDLY ASK THE QUESTION WITH A LITTLE BIT MORE CLEARLY .. 
ALL THE BEST ..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free