Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

A mixture of formic acid and oxalic acid is heated with concentrated H2SO4. The gas produced is collected and on its treatment with KOH solution the volume of the gas decreased by one-sixth. Calculate the molar ratio of the two acids in the original mixture.

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

let x moles of formic acid.... and y moles of oxalic acid......

then CO produced from formic acid is x moles

and y moles of CO and y moles of CO2 from oxalic acid.

KOH ansorbs only CO2

therefore the ratio of volume absorbed by KOH is y/(x+2y)

therefore x:y=4:1

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Please urgent. Thermochemistry question. I want to know the difference in energies and which one will be more stable and why?
Dear student The isomerised product will be more stable here due to conjugation which will lead to resonance.
Bhavya one month ago
Current 10 amp passed througj cuso4 for 32min 10 sec.if 896ml oxy liberated at stp calculate efficiency of cell
from faraday’s law, moles x valence factor = i*t/F moles = i*t/F*n = 10*1930/2*96485 = 0.100 approx. Moles given at STP = 0.896/22.4 = 0.04 efficiency = (0.1-0.04)/0.1 * 100 => 60%
Vikas TU 27 days ago
Nmm thanks buddy.a small mistake valency factor n=4.because 2h2o gives o2 + 4h^+ +4eso the moles=.05 nd the answer is 80%
Pulkit Khandelwal 27 days ago
how to derive gay lussac`s law of pressure and temperature relationship
pressure is directly prop to temp at constant volume. so here v is const and no of moles is p= a constant * T …........ P/T = a CONST
2017 years ago
Why CCl3- anion is more stable than C6H5CH2-? I think the only possibility is by comparing the -I effect of Cl and Phenyl group. Generally we can see the possibility of negative charge...
I believe vacant d orbital option shall come last as in the first place itself we see Phenyl ring has larger possibility of negative charge dispersion. Further as we all may know...
Dattatray Biradar one month ago
the reason is simple. in CCl3- cholrine atoms has vacnat d- orbitals. and that is the reason it make sit more stable.
Vikas TU one month ago
Can someone the defintion(specific and direct) and differences between aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons?
Aliphatic compounds can be saturated, joined by single bonds (alkanes), or unsaturated, with double bonds (alkenes) or triple bonds (alkynes). Besides hydrogen, other elements can be bound...
Umakant biswal 28 days ago
Aliphatic hydrocarbon possess straight chains. And aromatic hydrocarbon contains a aromatic chain like a benzene ring
Biswajit dash 28 days ago
How to check dipole moment procedudure of dipole moment in inorganic chemistry and what method to apply
@ rahul u can calculate the dipole moment of the molecules by the following formula u = q*l where u is the dipole moment q is the magntide of either charges and l is the dipole length HOPE...
Umakant biswal 6 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn