There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 520 off

What is hydration?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

A hydration reaction is a chemical reaction in which a hydroxyl group (OH-) and a hydrogen cation (an acidic proton) are added to the two carbon atoms bonded together in the carbon-carbon double bond which makes up an alkene functional group. The reaction usually runs in a strong acidic, aqueous solution.

Hydration differs from hydrolysis in that hydrolysis cleaves the non-water component in two. Hydration leaves the non-water component intact.

The general chemical equation of the reaction is the following:

RRC=CH2 in H2O/acid → RRC(-OH)-CH3

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

What is a standard hydrogen electrode...............?
The standard hydrogen electrode consists of a platinum electrode coated with platinum black. The electrode is dipped in a solution of acid (usually 1M HCl) and pure H 2 gas is bubbled...
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
@ ram A Standard Hydrogen Electrode (SHE) is an electrode that scientists use for reference on all half-cell potential reactions. The value of the standard electrode potential is zero,...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
What is the difference between hcp and ccp packing??
@ shreyas there are a small besic diffrence between the two types of packing , i am explaining that below . HCP (HEXAGONAL CLOSE PACKING ) 1- HERE , the third layer of sphere are exactly...
Shreyas Patil 3 months ago
Covering the tetrahedral voids: Here, tetrahedral voids of the second layer may be covered by the spheres of the third layer. It gives rise to ABABAB… type pattern. The three-dimensional...
SAHIL 3 months ago
What are axial bond in book it is staed there are only sigma and pi bond so what is axial bond?
@ mayank the bonds in the vertical plane are aligned in the direction of the axis, and are called axial bonds. actually axial position refers to the position perpendicular to the plane of...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Electronic configuration of inner transition element is
@ prabin inner transition element are the f block element placed below the periodic table , but they belongs to group 6 and 7 within the transition series . the electronic configuration of...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Explain in detail , ortho and para hydrogen. And also its % dependency on temp.
ortho are the postions adjacent to the substituents and the para position is the straght view position for any molecule benzene.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 520 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn