What is Latent Heat?

Also explain the Latent Heat of Fusion and Vaporisation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Latent Heat

When a substance changes phase, that is it goes from either a solid to a liquid or liquid to gas, the energy, it requires energy to do so. The potential energy stored in the interatomics forces between molecules needs to be overcome by the kinetic energy the motion of the particles before the substance can change phase.

If we measure the temperature of the substance which is initially solid as we heat it we produce a graph like Figure(below).

Temperature change with time. Phase changes are indicated by flat regions where heat energy used to overcome attractive forces between molecules

Starting a point A, the substance is in its solid phase, heating it brings the temperature up to its melting point but the material is still a solid at point B. As it is heated further, the energy from the heat source goes into breaking the bonds holding the atoms in place. This takes place from B to C. At point C all of the solid phase has been transformed into the liquid phase. Once again, as energy is added the energy goes into the kinetic energy of the particles raising the temperature, (C to D). At point D the temperature has reached its boiling point but it is still in the liquid phase. From points D to E thermal energy is overcoming the bonds and the particles have enough kinetic energy to escape from the liquid. The substance is entering the gas phase. Beyond E, further heating under pressure can raise the temperature still further is how a pressure cooker works.

Latent Heat of Fusion and Vaporisation

The energy required to change the phase of a substance is known as a latent heat. The word latent means hidden. When the phase change is from solid to liquid we must use the latent heat of fusion, and when the phase change is from liquid to a gas, we must use the latent heat of vaporisation.

The energy require is Q= m L, where m is the mass of the substance and L is the specific latent heat of fusion or vaporisation which measures the heat energy to change 1 kg of a solid into a liquid.

Table show the
Latent Heat !!!!

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Explain me volatile & non volatile with some example....

Volatile and nonvolatile solutions(substances) --- volitile substances are those substances which convert in to the form of vapour from solid and liquid. non volitile substance are those...
  img
Saurabh Kumar one month ago
Sir ,Can you explain the highlighted line in figure.

According to Molecular orbital theory an electron in an atom is described by wave function (psi),which is a solution of Schrodinger wave equation.When two atoms A and B which have atomic...
  img
Aarti Gupta 11 days ago
a substance freezes when vapour pressure of its liquid phase equals vapour pressure of its solid phase these are lines from ncert what is the meaning of vapour pressure of solid and why does...

orce exerted by the gas or vapor released by a liquid or solid substance in a closed container or space. Vapor pressure is a relative measure of the tendency to evaporate (volatility),...
  img
Harishwar 19 hours ago

but how can solid can have vapour pressure e.g; ice first melts to form liquid then the liquid and vapour comes to equilibrium which exerts pressure. how can solid directly go to vapour in...

rohan 19 hours ago
Wat is diiferentiating electrons????

Accourding to me differentiating electron is usually the one that is easily removed when forming ions.

Ashwin 2 months ago
Cr(NH 3 )(CO 3 ) what is the oxidation no. of Cr?

the oxidation state of the metal atom is the charge that would exist on the atom if the bonding were completly ionic oxidation no. of Cr:- i think you are missing its a carbonate ligand and...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
I have a class test tommorow on biomolecules.I have only 2-3 hours to study is it enough and what are the topics I should concentrate on. Please reply urgently!!

Study about starch, cellulose linkages, glucose structure, its properties, different tests for glucose classification of amino acids, structure of amino acids, fructose structure , DNA and...
  img
Harishwar one month ago
View all Questions »