Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

how should we calculate molecular formula when vapour density does not given?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

To find the no. of moles use the formula:

n=m/MM or moles= mass divided by Molecular mass

At STP conditions , we have many relations ,

If Volume is known at stp for gas.

Mole = Volume / 22.4 liters

If no. of molecules/ions/atoms... are known

Mole = no. of substance / (6.023 * 10^23)

If mass , and formula mass are known

Mole = Mass / Formula Mass

If vapour density and mass are known

Mole = Mass / (Vapour Density * 2)            etc.

If u r question is to calculate no. of moles if vapour density is given, then

molecular formula : A chemical formula that shows the number and kinds of atoms in a molecule.

MM = dRT/P

I would like to explain through an example:

Q) A certain compound containing only carbon and hydrogen was found to have a vapor density of 2.550 g/L at 100°C and 760 mm Hg. If the    empirical formula of this compound is CH, what is the molecular formula of this compound?

Ans) use the formula: MM = dRT/P

100°C = 373K

760 torr = 1atm

MM = (2.550g/L)(0.08206/mol*K)(373K)/(1atm)

MM = 78.05g/mol

MM CH = 13 g/mol

78.05g/mol / 13g/mol = 6

compund is :C6H6

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and

we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation. All the best.

Naga Ramesh

IIT Kgp - 2005 batch

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

what are the examples [elements and compounds] of fcc and bcc structures ?
The face centered cubic structure has atoms located at each of the corners and the centers of all the cubic faces . Each of the corner atoms is the corner of another cube so the corner...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
NCERT page 212 (2nd year part1).................................................................................
Anjitha 3 months ago
What are the type of questions asked in stoichometry in neet and can you please suggest me the simplest way to solve them
@ jayadhir stochiometry is the besic concept of chemistry , mainly as far as competetive exams are concerned , then they will ask u the ques from mole concept , calculating the...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 3 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 3 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 3 months ago
How to calculate equivalent weight in disproportionate reaction
@ mahima in the case of disproportion reaction u can calculate the equivalent weight by the calculation of n factor . and for finding the n factor , use the following formula 1/N= 1/n1 +...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
In EAS reaction of toulene with NO2, will the mesomeric and inductive effect of the nitro group be dominating over the o/p directing effect of methyl group? If yes, then is o-nitro toulene...
This is nitration therfore the attack would be at ortho position of benzene that is adjacent to the -ch3 group. This is the rule u need to follow in EAS. and hence ortho would be more...
Vikas TU one month ago
How can I find magnetic moment from chemical formula of a coordination compound
@ anjana mention the ques clearly , what exactly u want to know , i mean which chemical formula are mentioned , is that empirical or normal formula ?? u can find out the magnetic moment of...
Umakant biswal 10 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn