Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

What is the wave mechanical model of atom?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Wave Mechanical Model of Atom (Schrodinger wave equation)

Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 developed the model which is based on the particle and wave nature of the electron is known as wave mechanical model of the atom. The equation determines the behaviour of the wave function that describes the wavelike properties of a subatomic system. It relates kinetic energy and potential energy to the total energy, and it is solved to find the different energy levels of the system. Schrödinger applied the equation to the hydrogen atom and predicted many of its properties with remarkable accuracy. The differential equation is:

Where x is the coordinates m is the mass of the electron and E is the total energy of the electron. V= potential energy of the electron; h= Planck’s constant and 

wave function of electron.

Schrödinger's equation results in a series of so called wave functions, represented by the letter (psi). Although has no actual physical meaning, the value of 2 describes the probability distribution of an electron.

The sum of the probabilities over all values of V must be 1 and is called the normalization condition:

For one particle (such as an electron) of mass (m) in one-dimension, the Schrödinger Equation is:

Significance of   ??When we solve the Schrödinger equation it is observed that for some regions of space the value of is positive and for other it is negative. But the probability must be positive so it is proper to use ψ2 in place of .

Significance of 2 :- It is the probability factor. It describes the probability of finding an electron within a space. we can compute energy of electron with a given

The important point of the solution of this equation is that it provides a set of numbers called quantum numbers. These numbers describe the energies of the electrons in atoms, information about shapes and orientations is also known with the help of these numbers.

For hydrogen wave function,

Number of radial nodes = n-l-1.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 3 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 3 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 3 months ago
calculate the amount of workdone when one mole of an ideal gas present in a bulb of 5litres capacity at one one atmosphere pressure is allowed to enter into an evacuated bulb of 50 litres...
the amount of workdone when one mole of an ideal gas present in a bulb of 5litres capacity at one one atmosphere pressure is: W = -P(change in volume) = -1 * (50 – 5) = -1 * 45 = -45 Joules.
Vikas TU 28 days ago
I have a many books for physics H C Verma class12,ABC physics class12,ncert physics class12,and rudiments physics mcq and i am also taken a tution of physics then i am confused how i study...
@ manish What u need to understand is that , every book explains the same concept , every author have diffrent approach to explain the same concept . so, by that i can say first of all...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
look brother dont get scared by seeing all thoose books.just leave all the rubbish biooks except hc verma ad ncert .never leave them.all your friends will be dong that and this books.just...
sunny 3 months ago
Explain why a sigma bond is stronger than a pi bond.
sigma bond is formed due to head on head overlapping of s orbitals. so ,they form stronger bonds as compared to pi bond which is formed due to parallel overlapping and gets easily broken...
ankit saurav 10 days ago
What about order of strength of overlapping in 1s-1s, 2s-2s, 2s-2p, 2p-2p and 1s-2p??
Thank you sir but Directional bonds are more strong right?? I read in some book ,in that order is given as 1s-1s (because of size)> 2p-2p>2s-2p>2s-2s. I have a doubt so i asked here
Subramanya one month ago
@ subramanya the order of strength of overlapping is 1s-1s > 2s-2s > 1s-2p > 2s-2p > 2p-2p .. HOPE IT CLEARS YOUR DOUBT ALL THE BEST ..
Umakant biswal one month ago
how no. of pie bonds will effect heat of hydrogenation ? is it inceases with their number & what is i’s significance?
Heat of Hydrogenation is Heat of hydrogenation is inversely proportional the stability of alkenes. and directly proportional to the number of pi bonds. And all H2 addition is the syn....
Vikas TU one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn